Exhaust smells like rotten eggs

jruppert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Haven't had the 03 v8 very long. I've noticed if windows are down and run it hard from stop to 60 or so, I get an awful rotten egg smell. Do you think this is more to do with plugs and coils or catalytic converter?

Ok, well I do have plans on doing the plugs soon. I have thought about replacing the coils as well but havent made any definite plans. One night while driving around 50, I did get the code, cant remember which one and what it was called, but the info that I got on here referred to it as coil interference with TPS or something like that. Has not come on since.

Also, just curious on the performance of this car.. With the traction control off, should I be able to break the tires loose when taking off? It is a real dog up until 3k or so.

Ok, well I do have plans on doing the plugs soon. I have thought about replacing the coils as well but havent made any definite plans. One night while driving around 50, I did get the code, cant remember which one and what it was called, but the info that I got on here referred to it as coil interference with TPS or something like that. Has not come on since.

Also, just curious on the performance of this car.. With the traction control off, should I be able to break the tires loose when taking off? It is a real dog up until 3k or so.

Coils and plugs to together. The longer you let this go, the more likely you will have to replace catalytic converters at a much higher price.

I would say your cats are probably clogged by now. I would strongly suggest you replace the coils and plugs together. You could also risk damaging your pcm with the interference given off by the marginal coils.

Ok, well I do have plans on doing the plugs soon. I have thought about replacing the coils as well but havent made any definite plans.

the reason you don't want to do this is because if you replace all of the plugs but have a failing coil or two, the bad coil will just kill the new plug...

I would say this depends on what kinda tire you have, without brake torquing the car, I've had cheap tires that it would just lite right up, but then I've also had some really nice tires that could not be broken loose under good road conditions without brake torquing it. this car has plenty of mid to high range power, but doesn't really have a lot of low end torque.

It doesn't seem to have too much trouble coming loose under brake torquing. I will replace both plugs and coils at the same time then.

Lol. Well... I had a 90 GT convertible with AOD years ago and you couldn't break the tires loose.

I just ran into this issue today. Ive had my 03 V8 for about a month now and this was the first time i got that smell. Happened after some traffic light action as well. I believe it is related to the catalytic converters but I dont think it automatically means theyre clogged or going bad. I had a 2004 Mach1 with 38,000 miles that would create the same smell if I let the engine breathe a bit. It never caused problems on that car, and as long as the engine light doesnt come on, I dont think it'll cause problems on this one either. If it starts smelling that way when driven peacefully, then i'd worry about the cats.

Having the same issue with my 03 ls. Had my cat converters checked and they weren't clogged. Smell has been there before and after an engine swap though.

They dont have to be clogged to fail...

and to the OP.. i wouldn't be worried about "breaking them loose" until you get it running properly (CATs,coils, plugs). beating on it with these problems is just asking for problems

They dont have to be clogged to fail...

and to the OP.. i wouldn't be worried about "breaking them loose" until you get it running properly (CATs,coils, plugs). beating on it with these problems is just asking for problems

More often than not, its just breaking one of them loose! lol

Members online

Back