Exhaust

tach06

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing something with the exhaust on my 03 LS V8. I would like a little deeper exhaust note. I was thinking maybe removing the resonators. Has anyone done this? If so did it improve the sound? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

If you were to search on Exhaust you would find a million threads on this topic

I recommend Magnaflow Mufflers and tips.

I went with an X pipe, Magnaflow 2in/2 out mid muffler and then 2 Magnaflow mufflers out back, finished off with Magnaflow tips. Not too loud at all, but it turns heads. Perfect tone while cruising on the highway, too.

I have, as well as many others here, a vide of mine on YouTube. Just search on there for the same user name as on here.

If Menlo Park in your location is the same Menlo Park in NJ, my bud NickT who posts here and that did mine does exhaust work up in Ramsey if you need it done.

I am thinking of doing something with the exhaust on my 03 LS V8. I would like a little deeper exhaust note. I was thinking maybe removing the resonators. Has anyone done this? If so did it improve the sound? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

this is my car i have an 03 V8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42jN8LvHTw

i took off the"third cat" and the resonators

I'm the other guy with the Mina Jag exhaust.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=34658

I didn't like how the tips were short of the bumper by 2 inches.
I guess the jag S type has a shorter valence than the LS.
I took a sawzall and cut the pipe going into the muffler about 2" out then reworked the hangers again with a torch.
Got some 3 1/2" 2" inside diameter couplers and some 2 1/8" clamps from Autozone which allowed me to remount the mufflers
so the tops of the tips are even with the valence.
Looks a lot more badass with the big tips visible from the sides and the note is much less droning now than it was before.
I've got about 500 miles on my mufflers so far.
Only got the driver side done today but will do the other one tomorrow and post some back and side pics.
Want to post a sound clip on YouTube including from inside the cabin while accelerating and driving, but I only have an analog camcorder so I'll see what I can come up with using my digital camera.
The idle sound clips don't really show how the car sounds on the road.

Ok,
These mufflers are really only resonators as the exhaust goes straight through.
I'm much happier now that I've extended them 2 inches.
My driver side had moved before and melted the valence a bit as can be seen in the pic but I can fix that up later as I used to be a bodyman.
They're a little louder than the stock reverse flows but not much.
I cut my stock airbox down and put on a 40.00 Autozone filter.
I like the large size blue over the smaller K&N.
It added a nice burbling tone to the car.
I'll see how the mufflers sound after I've gone 1000 miles.
For all the effort, I'd recommend going with magnaflows and chrome tips for less than 1/2 the price of the Mina's.

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

Ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4QwoaIp_dM

Posted a video on YouTube of my new exhaust.
Remote started it then took it out for a short drive.
All the sound is my exhaust except for when the 69
Camaro went by the other way.
Seems just a little louder on the vid than in the car
but it's sweet.
After remounting the mufflers and breaking them in a bit
I'm very pleased with the results.
Quiet on cruise and idle with a nice growl when you want it.
This is with my custom CAI of course.
A little pricey and some reworking required,
but was worth it for this 49 yr old.

Let me know what you guys think. Comments welcome

Sounds similar to my car with the Magnaflows, at least at idle.

Nice to see that my car isn't the only one that does that bogging sort of thing (1:57 of video) where you have to hammer it to get it to move.

:Beer

My car has very crisp throttle response with the SCT program.
It was a bit boggy with the trottle by wire before when it was stock.
I was trying to show off the sound and that car pulled in front.
If it's shifted up into 3rd gear it takes a bit more to get it going.
But over all just a little push on the pedal gives instant acceleration.

That exhaust really sounds nice. I am possibly looking to do something with my 02 V8, how much would something like that cost me if I knew people in the exhaust business? I have never heard of Mina before, is that a Jag only thing?

These mufflers are for the Jag S type and will fit the 03-06 LS with the cutouts in the valence.
http://www.jaguarxp.com/jagxp/Jaguar S-Type/Performance/STRMina_gallexhaust system.htm

They're 2 inches too short on the lincoln and have to have the pipes
extended to fit properly.
There's more info on the thread I started
"Installed Mina Jaguar S Type exhaust on my LS Today"
For the 02 LS I'm afraid you'll have to use a Magnaflow system which is about 700.00 on ebay plus shipping. The 99-02s don't have the cutouts in the valence.
The Mina's will fit only 03-06 and are only the rear mufflers which are actually straight through resonators with large expansion chambers.
They're just over 900.00 shipped plus an exhaust shop would charge you
up to 100-200.00 to extend the pipes as in the pics in the other post and redo the hangers to make for a nice fit.

Thanks for the info. I have an 2002 LSE so I do have lower valence cutouts, but it still probably won't work. Yours really sounds nice, I am afriad to go with Magnaflows because I just don't really want to redneck my exhaust system with something you can hear down the block. I have only seen poorly done videos and the sound quality varies a lot. I just want something with a nice snarl to it when you want it.

The Minas are quite nice.
Hardly louder than stock most of the time
with a pleasing sound when you get on it.
Actually sound a bit louder in the video.
The CAI also adds to it as I had done that
a few months ago.

Members online

Back