Front end rattling (Sway Bar?)

keystoneaz

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Lincoln LS Sport that has developed a rattle up front. I have read several posts and it seems that it is common for the sway bar bushings to go bad. I have removed all the plastic pans from under the engine and I clearly can see the sway bar bushings and they appear to be in good condition. It looks like a lot of work to replace the sway bar bushings and I want to be sure they are the culprit before tearing into it. How hard is it to replace them and is it possible the rattling could be coming from the links instead?

Check your rims first and make sure the weights are still on the rims. If they both are then start looking other places, check your tires for bubbles also or any uneven wear. For some reason I kept losing the weights on my front rims even after going to different shops and that will cause a vibration or maybe a rattle. Depending on your definition

It's a rattling not a vibration. Pretty sure it's coming from the sway bar or possibly the lower control arm bushings. I ordered some new sway bushings from energysuspensionsaparts.com and will start there. If that's not the problem I will try the end links next.

Can you give a little better description of the problem? Whan does it happen? What does it sound/feel like?

You might check the stabilizer bar Link connections. I had a similar issue and a bolt had apparently just worked itself loose and rattled like crazy.

Here's a little diagram to explain.

Diagram

It's part #13 in the picture. I suggest tightening up the two bolts that hold the Link in place. Good luck.

On my 01, I had developed a horrible metal on metal rattle... Turned out to be the front brake pads were toast, and the anti-rattle springs and strips were gone and the pads were rattling on the calipers. Drove me nuts for a while, mainly cause they were saying swaybar bushings, but they were new. replaced pads and all good!

Members online

No members online now.
Back