Fuel economy with SCT flasher?

EL8ED

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I am trying to justify the SCT flasher and maybe a KKM intake by means of lowered fuel consumption for my '05 LS V8.

Any facts, nubers or experience on this?

Thanks,
Oliver

if I am doing my math right.....

to break even on the $600 of parts in gas savings you would:
- have to travel 80,000+ miles to pay for a 5% mileage improvement
- have to travel 20,000+ miles to pay for a 22% mileage improvement

this assumes that you 'never' use the performance enhancer to run harder....

(figuring you are paying $2.50 a gallon and start with 18mpg)

the air intake alone will improve it.

i drive 150 miles per day for my job and just doing the
airbox cut out helped MPG by adding around 1-3 extra.

the only problem i have is i cant keep my foot out of it....so
if you drive like me, youll likey only notice a better throtle response/
tone/power.

Well, gas is $3 right now. I see 20mpg right now. If I can achieve 23mpg it takes 30k miles to break even on $600.-

I guess I am reaching for justification here.

How hard (time consuming) is it to take off the KKM air intake and the flash for each service?

Btw, Torrie offerd a money back guarantee if I don't like the new software - how's that for customer service?

Cheers,
Oliver

EL8ED said:
Well, gas is $3 right now. I see 20mpg right now. If I can achieve 23mpg it takes 30k miles to break even on $600.-

I guess I am reaching for justification here.

How hard (time consuming) is it to take off the KKM air intake and the flash for each service?

Btw, Torrie offerd a money back guarantee if I don't like the new software - how's that for customer service?

Cheers,
Oliver

He's safe offering that guarantee. The only negative to his tunes is the having to tell everyone why you have that big grin on your face everytime you drive your LS. :)

The Xcal2 is the best mod I have done to my LS so far.

Torrie is great to deal with. He sent me a custom tune the other day.

I converted to SST and now the car will start in 1st. The shift from 1st to 2nd throws you back in the seat.

Highly Recommended

No idea about gas mileage, cause I am always driving it hard now.

RED LSV8 IN MA said:
I converted to SST and now the car will start in 1st. The shift from 1st to 2nd throws you back in the seat.

Are you saying the car starts in second normally (when not using the SST)? That would explain why when I counted 3 shifts when I first got the car. I just figured that the one I couldn't feel was just really smooth.

Also, if you have the SST you have the sport version of the car? Or do other versions also have the SST?

jwkuipers said:
Are you saying the car starts in second normally (when not using the SST)? That would explain why when I counted 3 shifts when I first got the car. I just figured that the one I couldn't feel was just really smooth.

Also, if you have the SST you have the sport version of the car? Or do other versions also have the SST?

No - the car always starts in 1st while in D4 or D5.

the pre-03 LSes start in 2nd gear in SST, then at 60% throttle they drop to 1st.

All LSes use a electronically shifted transmission - so anyone can convert an non-SST into an SST by simply swapping out the shifter. There are a couple of good threads on this already - do a search on SST.

We recently just got our hands on a PCM code from Europe that allowed the SST to start in 1st - it works on some LSes - not all.

Quik LS said:
We recently just got our hands on a PCM code from Europe that allowed the SST to start in 1st - it works on some LSes - not all.

Oh Baby! That's GREAT news! I hope you can figure out why it works on some and not the others...I'm wondering if it's PCM codes?

This alone is worth the price of admission for Torrie's tune.

What all do i need for parts to do the swap to sst. Im very curious about this, as well as whether or not the xcal2 will get me better mileage.

Members online

No members online now.
Back