Gear wrench question

M

my95mark8

Ok, I have been wanting gear wrenches for a while now.
Looking for some opinions...Gearwrench VS Craftsman brand.
Reversible VS non reversible.
Are these things strong enough to break TIGHT bolts free?
Sears has a set for $39.99...seems like a good price.

I have the Gear Wrenche sets and I have been using them for about 4 years. I have put some real torque on them and I have never had a problem.

I considered getting something other than the Craftsman brand, but those seem to be so well built that I stuck with that brand. I think I've only needed the 8mm, 10mm and 18mm ratching wrenches. The 8 is good for the MLPS, IACV, battery terminal clamps, etc. The 10 works on just about everything else. The 18 is for the UCA driver's side nut. I'm not sure if any other sizes of wrenches versus sockets are really needed on the Mark.

my95mark8 said:
Ok, I have been wanting gear wrenches for a while now.
Looking for some opinions...Gearwrench VS Craftsman brand.
Reversible VS non reversible.
Are these things strong enough to break TIGHT bolts free?
Sears has a set for $39.99...seems like a good price.

I have been using the General Motors brand (goodwrench) for several years and they work great. Both metric and sae sets. Industrial Maintenance/Machinist---so I use them alot. Reversible has a switch to change direction, non-reversible you have to flip the wrench 180 degrees to change directions.....NO BIGGIE.

I ended up buying the set that was on sale. Non-reversible, they were on sale for $39.99, and I got an extra 20% off because I had some problems at the store that night returning a defective floor jack, but that's another story.

from what my brother said i think he said gearwrench is not made anymore....gearwrench is great brother has a couple

I use Snap-On/IR mainly but do have some craftsman and other assorted brands. The price of snap-on may be too high for the weekend warrior but I would say that the quality and warranty for snap-on is unmatched.

I have some craftsman ratchet wrenches and love them, they come in so handy for all those little pain in the butt places. I NEVER use them to break a stuck bolt though, not worth damaging it...even though they shouldnt hurt it...just incase. I have broken many tools and usually your more pissed by mashing your hand, bleeding, and cursing for the next 10 minutes that you forget all about the tool lol. If i get a really stuck bolt i'll break it loose with a regular wrench or breaker bar then ratchet the heck outta that sucka when a ratchet/socket cannot be used.

Members online

No members online now.
Back