Gen 1 and Gen 2 V8 Prices

a_kraker99

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the generation 2 engine with 30 more horsepower would be cheaper than the generation 1?

I can't find a decent low mileage generation 1 anywhere. Can someone help me out.

As a side note, the engine I am considering replacing has a bad main or rod bearing. Would I be better off just replacing the bearings and calling it good? Would I have to get the crankshaft remachined?

Maybe because theres more gen II's than gen I's??

I can't find a decent low mileage generation 1 anywhere. Can someone help me out.

As a side note, the engine I am considering replacing has a bad main or rod bearing. Would I be better off just replacing the bearings and calling it good? Would I have to get the crankshaft remachined?

Last edited:
Main Bearings

Scarcity is the most likely reason. And as a second comment you can't simply go to the Ford or Lincoln dealer and buy main bearings. Due to the way that these engines are assembled, the bearings are fit to the block first. So if you try to buy a set of mains, you must buy the block as well. It all comes as an assembly. If you can find a Jaguar parts dealer who gets stuff from England, they will work with you to assemble a set with the right tolerances. Under these circumstances, you buy the bearings by the half, at a cost of about $6.00 each or about $60.00 for a set. Try Metro Imports at 800 900 2826 and ask for Jean.

KS

Aaaaaand I'm sure you know that bearings typically don't just go bad. If a bearing spun, then there's lots of other damage. If you've got some kind of knock from a loose bearing, then you've probably got lots of other damage.
Anything like that is just begging for a full tear down and rebuild.

Members online

No members online now.
Back