Good shocks/struts

Jporter

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,anyone have any good ideas for shocks/struts. My car seems to be riding hard on the bumps the past couple of days. I don't think its the bags 'cause the previous owner had them replaced last spring. What brand does lincoln use? and can I get a set that will give it the "new ride" feel,without having to go through a dealer. I'd like a nice easy smooth ride,especially with the state of repair (or lack thereof) of the roads in Massachusetts. My friends grand marquis rides beautifully, it almost glides over bumps and it's 15 years old now. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks

:steering

You can check out the vendors we have listed on this site they are after market Struts. I've used Strutmasters for my Lincoln Mark VII and was very pleased.

Or you can contact Eddy at http://www.americanairsuspension.com/index.htm for original replacement parts. I've heard he is excellent!

I'm no expert but you could check out your rear shocks! I know mine are going on my 93 Mark VIII and need replacing. They make the ride pretty rough.

Will be doing this job pretty soon.

Monroe sensatracs for the rear p/n-19710461. I think that may be a Advance autopart number but they are for a 1996 Ford T-bird 3.8L. $25.88 each. You could get Cobra rears etc. but it will ride much harsher. The Sensatracs are the way to go for plushness. No one makes after market shocks for the MarkVIII. Make sure you get new upper shock mounts from Lincoln as yours are probably shot.

mespock said:
You can check out the vendors we have listed on this site they are after market Struts. I've used Strutmasters for my Lincoln Mark VII and was very pleased.

Or you can contact Eddy at http://www.americanairsuspension.com/index.htm for original replacement parts. I've heard he is excellent!

I'm no expert but you could check out your rear shocks! I know mine are going on my 93 Mark VIII and need replacing. They make the ride pretty rough.

Will be doing this job pretty soon.

I thought I read you could adjust the rear shocks for softer or stiffer ride? If so, does anyone know how? maybe that might help ? and,it may hold me over until I get them replaced, or until I get my butt bruised too much whichever comes first.

Jporter said:
I thought I read you could adjust the rear shocks for softer or stiffer ride? If so, does anyone know how? maybe that might help ? and,it may hold me over until I get them replaced, or until I get my butt bruised too much whichever comes first.

I'm not an expert and can't help with that but I'm sure someone will chime in soon with the answer.

Jporter, we use 97 thunderbird shocks with new OE Mark VIII mounts when we change the shocks for our customers. Get the Monroe Sensetracs. They cost about $30 each and will give you a very smooth ride. The upper mounts you can get from the dealer. Always replace the upper mounts any time you replace the shocks to reduce noise. There is a factory setting on the OE shocks, but it is set at the factory, and to be honest I have never heard of anyone being able to adjust them. They are self adjustable shocks as far as ride height and load capacity which might be what you are thinking of. If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will do my best to help.

Thanks,
Strutmasters Team
866-597-2397

Strutmasters said:
Jporter, we use 97 thunderbird shocks with new OE Mark VIII mounts when we change the shocks for our customers. Get the Monroe Sensetracs. They cost about $30 each and will give you a very smooth ride. The upper mounts you can get from the dealer. Always replace the upper mounts any time you replace the shocks to reduce noise. There is a factory setting on the OE shocks, but it is set at the factory, and to be honest I have never heard of anyone being able to adjust them. They are self adjustable shocks as far as ride height and load capacity which might be what you are thinking of. If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will do my best to help.

Thanks,
Strutmasters Team
866-597-2397

Thanks for the info. You're right I must've misunderstood the adjustment thing. Are there 4 shocks (2Fr/2Rr)? I can't slide under the car to see and my hydraulic jack froze. Atleast I now know what to do on my vacation. Do you guys sell the sensatrac? I can't seem to find them in autozone or VIP here. And when I tell the sales people what I'm looking for in a ride they try and sell me shocks at $100 a piece. The Bastards.

The '93's and early '94's had an adjustable dampening shock on the rear. It was only used for panic stops to keep the rear of the car from rising so high when the car did a nose dive. I think they found that was redundant and that the ABS did a good job with things because they only used it for 1 1/2 model years. After that they never went back to it.

Jporter, your car only has the shocks in the rear of the vehicle. The front has an air strut assymbly that acts as both shock absorber and weight stabelizer. I can get the shocks for you, we try not to advise the customer to get them on their own considering that we do not offer the upper mounts with the shocks. To be honest, if you can get them on your own you will probably come out better as far as price is concerned. I have a few on hand here, but we do not buy them in bulk, so our discount is a little low. We are in the process of designing our own upper mounts for the shocks, and that would allow us to sell them as a unit and pass the savings on to the consumers. If you can't find them locally let me know, and we will work something out.

Thanks,
Strutmasters Team
866-597-2397

Strutmasters said:
Jporter, your car only has the shocks in the rear of the vehicle. The front has an air strut assymbly that acts as both shock absorber and weight stabelizer. I can get the shocks for you, we try not to advise the customer to get them on their own considering that we do not offer the upper mounts with the shocks. To be honest, if you can get them on your own you will probably come out better as far as price is concerned. I have a few on hand here, but we do not buy them in bulk, so our discount is a little low. We are in the process of designing our own upper mounts for the shocks, and that would allow us to sell them as a unit and pass the savings on to the consumers. If you can't find them locally let me know, and we will work something out.

Thanks,
Strutmasters Team
866-597-2397

Do you plan on making any of those upper shock mounts in polyurethane?

Jporter said:
Thanks for the info. You're right I must've misunderstood the adjustment thing. Are there 4 shocks (2Fr/2Rr)? I can't slide under the car to see and my hydraulic jack froze. Atleast I now know what to do on my vacation. Do you guys sell the sensatrac? I can't seem to find them in autozone or VIP here. And when I tell the sales people what I'm looking for in a ride they try and sell me shocks at $100 a piece. The Bastards.

Crap what do I post for? Go back up in the thread I tell you where to get them and even include a p/n. :Bang

Tractionless said:
Crap what do I post for? Go back up in the thread I tell you where to get them and even include a p/n. :Bang
I Can't find an Advance auto near enough for me to get to before it closes. But,don't feel bad I used the stock # you gave me when I looked around. So I didn't COMPLETELY ignore you. I even asked about and compared the price with what some of the salesmen were trying to sell me for $100 or more.
So THERE.. :N I appreciated the input in your post it gave me an idea of what to look for.

Dude they are open EVERY day till 9pm here. Sat and sunday too are you working 7 days a week? If so I feel bad for you. I am sure you can order them off their website too if you really can't get there!!

Tractionless said:
Dude they are open EVERY day till 9pm here. Sat and sunday too are you working 7 days a week? If so I feel bad for you. I am sure you can order them off their website too if you really can't get there!!
I work double shifts(16 hours/7A-11P) 5 days a week 10-12 hour shifts once a week and if there is OT available on my day off I'll take it. I drive an hour to work and back every day, and that doesn't include briefing before shift or after shift,not to mention I'm also a training officer, so I don't have alot of time to hit an Advance auto before it closes and get home to do it all again the next day, don't feel bad for me, it's my own choice for enjoying my work and my OWN fault for not fully planning out my future when I was younger. In Mass most places other than food stores, are only open 10 or 11 AM until 5 or 6PM and I work Sundays anyway. So I'm going to check the site and hopefully get them delivered and maybe attempt to get them done during one of my vacations. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Members online

No members online now.
Back