Heater Problems '02 LS

LSunreal

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to fix my 2002 LS v8 which currently has no heat/defrost but has a working A/C. The heater core hoses are not getting hot. I watched "ericthecarguys" vid on youtube to purge the air, also using the heater bleed but still cant get heat. I've ran some test's and replaced parts that I will list below. I'm kind of a newbie to cars so any help or tips to what it could be is much appreciated.

Checked coolant lvl
No DATC error codes
Checked under hood fuses
Checked heater core (was unclogged)
New Thermostat
New Water Pump
New DCCV
New Thermostat Housing <-- broke old one :shifty:

Probably going to check the circuit from the DCCV to the DATC next but not sure how to do that yet. I'll keep this post updated with my progress.

Might want to replace that thermostat housing if you broke the new one. Check the upper radiator hose and see if it gets hot. I've had mine replaced incorrectly (was put in upside down,) and I had problems with heat along with overheating. Check your new thermostat, it could be stuck in the open position.

Also, check at the DCCV, hoses can be easily swapped incorrectly and can cause a no heat condition with good working a/c.My money is on this being the problem. Also could be a faulty dccv, yes it has happened that new ones come faulty.

Also, replace the degas bottle, with the OEM one, not Dorman.
Check for obstructions in the heater hose, and the upper radiator hose.

I've ran into almost the same issue with my 02.... except mine just gets warm... not hot, just warm... I had to run the heater on Hi the entire winter last year... Meant to try to figure it out over the summer but never got to it.... going to look into it this weekend... let us know if you figure out what is the root cause of yours...

Might want to replace that thermostat housing if you broke the new one. Check the upper radiator hose and see if it gets hot. I've had mine replaced incorrectly (was put in upside down,) and I had problems with heat along with overheating. Check your new thermostat, it could be stuck in the open position.

Also, check at the DCCV, hoses can be easily swapped incorrectly and can cause a no heat condition with good working a/c.My money is on this being the problem. Also could be a faulty dccv, yes it has happened that new ones come faulty.

Genius! I found that the connection from the upper radiator hose to the DCCV was swapped and hooked onto the side of the aux pump. I let the car warm up for 15 min and got no heat and then took it for a 20min drive. Heat came on when I hit about 60 and stayed good in idle too. I'll have to check it again next time I warm up the engine. Looks like I will need a new hose soon because its starting to kink near the top radiator hose (T-connection) from being connected wrong by the previous owner. Possibly cutting off some of my heat too. Probably gonna replace the other plastic header connected near the water pump too cause its getting brittle.

Also, replace the degas bottle, with the OEM one, not Dorman.

So has anyone used a confirmed revised Dorman bottle? As I was building my cooling system parts list I wrote Dorman and asked if they could confirm the redesign and quality improvemens of their bottle had happened and how I could make sure that I did get a revised one, IF I was to order it.

This was the reply that I got from Dorman's Asst Product Manager/Tech Services on 10/28
Yes these tanks were changed late last year.
We also just received more stock in yesterday.
All of our stock is the improved mold on these.
Your parts store can order one directly from us for you.
Thank you

Since he never actually told me how I could be sure in getting a revised part I never gave it another thought, not that it was a serious thought to begin with given how well covered they have been here... I was more curious that anything.

Oh and I placed my Tasca order this morning which included the tank, so no one needs to flip out that I didn't read or just didn't listen and ordered the wrong bottle! :D :Beer:

WOW when did radiator Overflow tanks become rocket science ? this whole plastic thing is like WOW. Ya maybe we need it maybe we don't. You all talk like no big deal, spend $700.00 or so for the plastic parts and welaaaa. I bought my LS because it was a Lincoln " worked for Ford Licoln Mercury for over 30 Years. This car is a Jaguar with Lincoln emblems and anybody knows Jaguars are High Maintinance.

Like it or not, a pressurized, plastic, degas bottle is pretty much a standard feature of most cars from the 2000's onward. Even my 94 Grand Marquis had one.

Ok, so the heat is working at high rpm's but little idle heat. According to the workshop manual I'm suppose to fix circuit 30-FA74A because I have no voltage to the auxiliary pump relay. I'm kind of hesitant about even opening up my fuse box to look at the wires behind it and pretty sure I should disconnect the battery
before even doing this. Maybe there's another fuse or something that could be causing this? I have checked the 10amp fuse in slot 1 and its fine. Would I have to take all the fuses and relay's out to look at the wiring?

Look at the connector that sits on the fan shroud, make sure the wires are not frayed, mines look like it's been through hell. Plus I have a broken wire, and the rest looks like the previous owner was using rail road spikes to probe the wires. Not sure if I can just, re-pin the wires, but a replacement is evident. Right now a paper clip is in place where the wire broke off and the others I assune work cause both sides has heat. I also have it taped in a way to keep movement minimal.

Members online

Back