help! air lines in air suspension

tom8214003

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I got everything together with the new custom made airstruts from Airbagit.com and the damn system leaks still - the car raises like normal and then within 2 hours back on the ground. So there's got to be a slow leak that I cannot hear between the 4 points. I got a feeling its somewhere on the solenoid or where the factory plastic airline goes into the solenoid. I had a hard time getting the "quick-connect" fitting into the new solenoid (made by Arnott ind.) and it didn't go down all the way as if its just too big for the hole. Should there be some kind of positive clicking action when inserted?? This sucks!! Took me 15 mins to swap out the struts but over a week messing with with this custom airline b.s.!!

Some background -I had went on Airbagit.com - and ordered the OE style Weston Industries built struts they had listed in their catalog online. I paid for them and a couple days later they call me back to say that its not in stock (no surprise) - and offered me a solution. They said they make their own custom direct fit air struts with an air line adapter and fitting etc.. and although its listed as double the cost - like $450 each side, because of the circumstances, they could offer these for the same price I had already paid. I knew it was going to be nearly impossible to get new struts unless actual Ford OEM replacements at over $600 each - so I said okay hoping that there wouldn't be any issues installing them. The salesman Tom P. says its a direct fit no fabrication necessary! - also says that they have a lifetime warranty on the airbag from leaks.. two weeks later I'm still working on this! No official instructions -just emails back and forth with the sales guy Tom Parkinson. I had to buy longer bolts and add washers for spacing and try a variety of fittings to make the airline hose reach. I've considered using a 3/8 braided hose for a dishwasher but its not NPT I dont think.

airleak.jpg

I had a hard time getting the "quick-connect" fitting into the new solenoid (made by Arnott ind.) and it didn't go down all the way as if its just too big for the hole. Should there be some kind of positive clicking action when inserted??

Have you tried spraying some soapy water on the connections?

Not familiar with those solenoids, but the OEM connection is a push type collet that seals against the end of the plastic air tube. As such it is very important to have a clean square cut on the tubing and be sure the tubing is inserted fully against the "O"-ring seat. To remove, simply push on the external collar which releases the internal collet while pulling firmly straight out.

I would recheck the tubing connection.

Almost looks to me as if the stock solenoid is upside down and stuck inside that body with the black hose coming from the bottom. I zoomed in and could tell the factory airline pushes into the orange collet. Atleats from what I can tell.

Id be interested in what the ride feels like with those airbag/shocks. Always looked "too good", and "too cheap" to be true. I would switch back to airride if a better system could be created, and the price brought down to an affordable level.

I would like to see the write-up on this also. If these are as firm as the OEM shocks I would certainly buy these. The arnott shocks have no structural integrity from the shock absorber. BTW if those are thread type nuts(for the airline) that you tightened did you put some type of sealant on the threads? Also, i bought the solenoid from arnott and they are not made for the mark viii. The hole IS too small and the tabs to hold the solenoid are too small. They are actually town car solenoids. That is where your leak may lie.

BTW if those are thread type nuts(for the airline) that you tightened did you put some type of sealant on the threads?

Those look like common compression fittings?

If so, the nuts do not need any sealant but the male thread of the fittings into the shock and solenoid do indeed require a sealant.

Well at least we know there is one issue. The solenoid definitely needs to be replaced. I tried using the arnott solenoid and ended up with a leak and figured out it was a town car solenoid. I'd check that first. Soap water to be sure I guess.

Those look like common compression fittings?

If so, the nuts do not need any sealant but the male thread of the fittings into the shock and solenoid do indeed require a sealant.

Correct!

DO NOT use any sealant on a compression fitting. The threads have no sealing properties. The sealing is accomplished by metal-to-metal contact.

When I was in the Navy, one of my jobs was to build, test, and certify Nuclear test rigs comprised mostly of Swagelok and Parker compression fittings. Some of these rigs were certified to withstand upwards of 10000 psi.

I would build, test and certify these rigs to exacting specifications and then "check" them out to different crews. I don't know how many times I'd get them back with different fittings on them, or teflon tape on a Swagelok fitting! If I received them back like that, whatever testing they did was considered invalid and I would have to un-fukk up whatever they did and then retest it and certify it again, so they could re-do the test...

Sorry, got off on a rant there. Moral of the story--thread sealant MAY be used on pipe threads, but NOT on compression fittings...

If its the solenoids that are the problem will mark viii ones fit ?
Also i hope that is not the final routing of the air line to the bag.

+1 with 98linc on the sealent 43 years as a pipefitter and control work . don,t overtighten the nuts fingertight then a 1/4 turn. use a sented soap with a little water to check for leaks. jd

aaaaaaand this is why we buy the motorcraft ones! lol.
props for attempting something new though.

Correct!

DO NOT use any sealant on a compression fitting. The threads have no sealing properties. The sealing is accomplished by metal-to-metal contact.

When I was in the Navy, one of my jobs was to build, test, and certify Nuclear test rigs comprised mostly of Swagelok and Parker compression fittings. Some of these rigs were certified to withstand upwards of 10000 psi.

I would build, test and certify these rigs to exacting specifications and then "check" them out to different crews. I don't know how many times I'd get them back with different fittings on them, or teflon tape on a Swagelok fitting! If I received them back like that, whatever testing they did was considered invalid and I would have to un-fukk up whatever they did and then retest it and certify it again, so they could re-do the test...

Sorry, got off on a rant there. Moral of the story--thread sealant MAY be used on pipe threads, but NOT on compression fittings...
Opps didn't know. I was thinking they were just bolt on thread air lines. I've had to use the white strip on my air tool I had that was leaking. Thought it used the same system.

I do like the looks of those air shocks. But they're EXTREMELY expensive!

http://www.airbagit.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=lincoln+mark+viii

And they are apparently still selling both the old and new style Arnott air shocks on their site. But apparently some sites still haven't figured out that they're not struts. It boggles the mind...:rolleyes:

airleak.jpg

I like the design of that air shock. It looks like it can be used as either a shock in and SLA suspension like the Mark VIII or as a strut in a less sophisticated strut suspension just by changing the upper and lower mounts (it also shows a strut-type mount on the website). But the routing of that air line is not cool. There's too much potential for rubbing against other suspension parts (strut rod and sway bar) that could cause premature leaks. Also that assembly where the solenoid inserts looks a little hokey to me. There are just too many parts there that look like they could leak. It would be much better to have a solenoid mount as close to the air spring as possible with as few connecting points as possible. I like the shock design but I do not care for the air line routing setup. It's too complicated and "busy" with too many parts that have to seal together.

airleak.jpg

OP could you post a close-up pic of the solenoid and body that its in? Without the yellow circles.

Members online

Back