HELP!!! Hydraulic Cooling Fan, Pump or Actuator?

donj79ga

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Bought 2001 Lincoln LS V8 at auction with 190k miles. No history on the car. Fan is not kicking in to high speed. Mechanic says it does spin slowly. Ordered a used Actuator off ebay. Still no change!! I had the mechanic disconnect the plug around the*coolant crossover pipe*on the driver's side. I read on this forum that should trigger the fan to high speed.Still no change! Fan does work. Just doesn't move fast enough to cool the car. Mechanic does not know how to test. So I'm coming to you guys! Is there any way to test the parts before I just start throwing stuff at it?? Im thinking of buying a fan motor next. I also read on this forum, if the fan spins at all, the pump is likely not to be the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to buy that acuator new instead of used. That might be your problem. Type engine over heat in the search box and the fan and plastic coolant parts will show up. Mostly plastic coolant parts. Do this take your hand and let the fan blades spin past your fingers. ( do not jam your fingers in the fan please) just close enough where you can feel the blades glide across your finger tips. Hold that position and take note of the speed, them have some one or just reach over and give it a little gas the speed should increase with rpm if not then most Likely the pin in the fan housing is broke. (Only if the actuator is new and not used)
But then again if the fan is moving it's not the pin.

buy a new acuator. First and stop letting eBay get over on you.

The ls is one of those vehicles that you can't bargain out on. And most definitely can't pull apart, build off of. The chance of finding a good use actuator is slim to none.

Members online

No members online now.
Back