Help...My driver door LOCKS by itself?

h2osho

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2000 LS8, but it did NOT have an owners manual. I downloaded the 2001 OM but I didn't see it, if it was in there.

When my car has the key in the ignition (with car off) it will LOCK the drivers door after I step out and close the door, but not the other doors. (like washing the car or getting gas)

How can I turn this OFF?

It's a huge inconvenience.

if u look at ur dash youll see those byuttons, hit the status one and wait till it come to the auto lock one and hit reset or something on itll stop this.... i think. im not 100% sure but there is a thread out there about this

that sounds strange to me guys. I know in my 04 if I leave the keys in the ignition (with the car off) I cannot lock the doors.... without using the keypad keyfob. If I open the door, push the lock button, shen shut the door it unlocks on its own. I've never had it lock on me.

yeah, mine does that intermittently too. I just chalk it up to a gremlin, and I always keep the fob in my pocket. I had been locked out of my LS 3 times, all those times while the engine was running. After that, I took the ignition key off my keychain, and all my other keys and my keyfob stay in my pocket. It has locked itself a few times since then, but now it's no big deal.

Oh, and when I tore the dash apart to install the white guages, I saw that the previous owner had a remote start or alarm installed previously.

if u look at ur dash youll see those byuttons, hit the status one and wait till it come to the auto lock one and hit reset or something on itll stop this.... i think. im not 100% sure but there is a thread out there about this

I really doubt that will help. The factory auto-lock feature locks all the doors when the car is moving. That is not what is being described here. Whatever is going on here is some kind of malfunction.

There was a problem with the early cars. Seems when released the handle would "snap" back and pull the door lock with it, locking the door. Ever since I read about people getting their keys locked in the car, I carry the remote and key separately.

I never leave the keys in the car unless I roll the window down a few inches to reach in. The lincoln has never locked me out, but my jetta did once, pissed me off and didn't have spare so had to call a locksmith.

Yeah but I bet the Jetta didnt have a keypad on the door to let you in incase you get locked out.... or when camping/floating or just somewhere youd rather not take your keys. VERY handy!

Not all LS' have that feature. And though it can be convenient sometimes, it sure is ugly to look at.

Id take the inner door handle off and clean/re grease it and the lock lever. If a previous owner spilled coke or some kind of crap on the door, that would gum up the handle and make it sticky enough to pull the lock lever back with it like LS4me said.

Not all LS' have that feature. And though it can be convenient sometimes, it sure is ugly to look at.

Id take the inner door handle off and clean/re grease it and the lock lever. If a previous owner spilled coke or some kind of crap on the door, that would gum up the handle and make it sticky enough to pull the lock lever back with it like LS4me said.

All gen II (2003-2006) LS's have the keypad. A stick-on version could be added to the gen I models. Its utility far outshines its appearance. I wouldn't have a car without one, and haven't since 1993.

All gen II (2003-2006) LS's have the keypad. A stick-on version could be added to the gen I models. Its utility far outshines its appearance. I wouldn't have a car without one, and haven't since 1993.

i made the mistake of not getting this on my 1st gen, and i locked my keys in my car once (yes, while running) and i made sure that i would never again buy a car with out one.

and if you get the aftermarket add on, you can put it damn near anywhere

Yes, a good place is in between the license plate lights in the rear. Concealed thatway, and doesn't stick out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back