Hesitation When Shifting

my05lincls8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays Folks! I am experiencing some slight hesitation when my car is shifting gears at around 50 mph. It's giving a slight push back and a small rumble then it continues to accelerate. The tranny is not slipping, just a slight hesitation. Anybody experience this before. No check engine light on, but it is becoming more noticeable by the day. 2005 LS V8 Ultimate. Any helps would be appreciated. Thanks! :feedback:feedback

Last edited:
AFAIK, it could be:
Worn out transmission fluid.
Low transmission fluid.
Bad solenoid valve assembly.
Bad torque converter.

I'm sure there are other possible faults too.

If you get harsh engagement of reverse, then the solenoid valve assembly becomes the most likely suspect.

I am having similar problems. When I shift from park to reverse, park to drive and reverse to drive it hesitates for a second or two and then it jerks into gear.. What could this be?

I am having similar problems. When I shift from park to reverse, park to drive and reverse to drive it hesitates for a second or two and then it jerks into gear.. What could this be?

It's a sticking solenoid inside the transmission. The dealer price for the repair should be about $700, but it can be done DIY.

It's a sticking solenoid inside the transmission. The dealer price for the repair should be about $700, but it can be done DIY.

Ok thanks. Do you happen to know the part number for that exact solenoid?

I mean does it suppose to shift right right away when put into drive. Because mines is not a 2 second but... its more like a 1 second and I just got my transmission oil and valve body replaced.

I would say no. Mine takes about .5-1 sec to go from R --> D.

It could be low fluid, but is most likely the solenoid pack. I think I actually have two, and one valve body, in excellent shape that I can sell for a good price if you need it.

The hesitation could be due to bad ignition coils. I experienced hard shifting during mild acceleration, hesitation when going from coasting to acceleration, and the fuel milage dropped by about 1.5-2 mpg. The dealer found 2 bad ignition coils, which were replaced including the spark plugs. This was about 3 months ago and the car ran well after that service. Now I started to experience the same type of symptoms since after Thanksgiving, which means another trip to the dealer for repairs. I have a 2005 Ultimate with about 41K miles (and extended warranty).

The hesitation could be due to bad coil packs. I experienced hard shifting during mild acceleration, hesitation when going from coasting to acceleration, and the fuel milage dropped by about 1.5-2 mpg. The dealer found 2 bad coil packs, which were replaced including the spark plugs. This was about 3 months ago and the car ran well after that service. Now I started to experience the same type of symptoms since after Thanksgiving, which means another trip to the dealer for repairs. I have a 2005 Ultimate with about 41K miles (and extended warranty).

The LS does not have coil packs. It has a coil over plug assembly which attaches directly to the spark plug. If it had coil packs, it would most likely mean that it would have spark plug wires from a distribution spark system. I would advise you to change all coils and plugs all at the same time or you will be going back to the dealer every few months as you are now.

Thanks for clarification. I corrected my statement (from "coil packs" to "ignition coils").
I suspect the dealer has to justify that the coils are defective before being able to replace and have it covered under warranty. But, thanks for the advice; next time if they do find additional defective coil(s) I will ask for them to replace all the remaining ones.

What are recommended ignition coil replacements for 2000 ls v8

There are many out there on ebay. I am using a set off of ebay for 109 shipped. I have heard good an bad about these. They say they have a lifetime warranty but the company you buy them from will not honor it because they refuse to respond back to any customer that has bought these. There was a post about this not that long ago. Some are good. Some are bad. Some like Pektel have used the 4.6 coils but he had to permanently remove the coil cover. Those are off of I believe summit racing or jegs. They are around 200 a set.

Members online

No members online now.
Back