Holy Tire Cr_p Batman!

JMT03LSV8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
OK guys, this may sound stupid to a lot of you that have had an LS for awhile. When I bought this thing, it had Mastercraft tires on it. From what I can tell from their website and the Cooper tire website, these are identical to the Cooper CS4's. I think that's what they call them..Anyway, these things SUCK in wet weather and I can only imagine what they will be like in snow. They have almost full tread depth on them as they look like they haven't been on the car very long. The rear end of this thing will come around on wet roads like nothing! I guess at least a set of rear tires may be required before the snow flies!

Stop by your local discount tire and see what they have.

unfortunately i have douglas tires on (245/45/17) that have 10 or 11/32nds (new) and they suck (and swallow lol) in wet weather, and i can spin them on dry ground. im gettin toyo tires on soon (hopefully tuesday) but they are 215/55/17, but im usin them for snow so...

I guess I was rather vague there. Not sure if there was an intended question or a gripe! Maybe wondering if anyone had heard good or bad about these tires. I'll probably just run to tire shop and see what they have.

We've been using the Michelin Pilot Sport in a stock size for the last 40k miles and they have been very good in all types of weather here in NJ, even the storms we had last winter.

Continental's ExtremeContact DWS has a slightly higher rating and is abut $90 less. All of the better tires are going to be expensive.

problem with the pilots is theyre $200 each.....

A very good source for tire information is Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp

I run Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S and have been satisfied for an all season tire but the new Continental's Extreme Contact DWS do look very good for winter, would like to see wet and dry test also.

Continental's ExtremeContact DWS has a slightly higher rating and is abut $90 less. All of the better tires are going to be expensive.

i wanted to try those (conti dws)

+1. Apparently among the best.

Its either that for my next rubber, or Toyo Versado LX (which I have now), Bridgestone RE960AS, or the Michelins.

problem with the pilots is theyre $200 each.....

Tire Rack is about $180, but then you need to get them mounted and balanced, which I used to do in the test garage. :mad:

One thing I have to say about Michelins ..... For our operation I purchased a Hunter GSP9700 balancer with road force measurements. In the years that we used it, Michelin tires were always the ones that had the least variation in balance and road force. So my preference is to stay within the Michelin brand name.

My second is that even though I don't have that balancer within my personal use anymore, I will search out what shops have it and use it for all my tires. It's that good.

I have been getting prices on the Conti DWS tires as well. Local ford shop wants $640 out the door for 4 (16's in my case). I got a good quote from Firestone on some Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid at $535 out the door. I have had no complaints from my Potenza G09 Grid that are on the car now... but those do Conti's look good.

Bottom line: spend the money and get tires to match your car, location & driving style.

I work for tirewarehouse in RI. Master craft tires a a private label brand for townfair tire. And yes they suck. If you want to get a good tire for a good price look in to the falken ziex ze912's or I just put a set of Kelly charger gt's on my stock 16" wheels. I have 225/55/16, they are a h rated tire, the ls calls for a v rated tire but you can get away with the h rated. I found the kellys to be very good in the rain they may be good in the snow but I am still gonna put snow tires on the rears this winter, did that last year and didn't get stuck once. Another good tire are the yokohama avid trz and the avid envigor. Consumer reports has rated the envigors, number one tire the last 3 years in a row. they are alittle more pricey but deffinatly cheaper than the michelin.

+1. Apparently among the best.

Its either that for my next rubber, or Toyo Versado LX (which I have now), Bridgestone RE960AS, or the Michelins.

how do u like the toyo's? thats what i have at my job waiting to go on.

how do u like the toyo's? thats what i have at my job waiting to go on.

I'm down to 5/32 right now, and I have only put 10k km on them, which isn't much. They also came with the car so I didn't get to experience their brand new potential, but this is what I can tell you:

They have a hum that starts at around 70km/h (43 mph) and ends at around 80 (doesn't bother me).

Road noise is good otherwise. Very comfy with plenty of dry grip, and good wear as well.

They are okay in the rain: they stop fine and handle well, but I do get a ton of wheelspin unless I take it slow, when starting on a steep incline.

In snow <1" they are okay, otherwise absolutely awful.

I've been using the Continental ExtremeContact DWS for about 28,000 miles and still have a good 60-70% life left. The tires grip fairly well in the snow, but really shine in the wet/dry.

i had goodyear F1 all seasons, and i think they where more sticky the wetter they got, but since they are such a soft rubber, they wear kinda fast for about $180 a tire

haha, i accidentally broke these pos tires loose from 25mph goin to pass this slow driver in the rain. fekkin bmore drivers get scared in incliment weather lol. my car started slidin like it was stolen

haha, i accidentally broke these pos tires loose from 25mph goin to pass this slow driver in the rain. fekkin bmore drivers get scared in incliment weather lol. my car started slidin like it was stolen

Yup, did the same thing with my "Mastercrap" tires. Lit the damn tires up with the Advancetrac turned on. I was kinda surprised how easy they spun.

Just an FYI kinda thing. I was checking prices on the Conti DWS tires and the Bridgestone Potenza G019 tires. Tire rack was $154 & $165 each respectively. Sears had them for $162 and $167. The Sears automotive here in town has always treated me fairly well so that may be a possibilty.

If you can get them at a local shop its better.

Why? Well i get mine at discount tire cause for the first 90 days if anything happens, they replace the tire. After that if i get a nail or a blowout, its like $60 for a brand new tire. You wont get that with tire rack will you?

And sure enough, i got a flat within the first 30 days that i bought them (yokohama s-drive). I rolled into the gas station slowly, put some air in and drove a few blocks down to discount tire. within an hour a had a brand new tire back on.

If you can get them at a local shop its better.

Why? Well i get mine at discount tire cause for the first 90 days if anything happens, they replace the tire. After that if i get a nail or a blowout, its like $60 for a brand new tire. You wont get that with tire rack will you?
with discount its a prorated warranty so the newer the tire the less you will have to pay, unless you get their "certs" which then if they cant patch the hole then they will just replace it for free and its about $14-$18 a tire

Members online

Back