How aerodynamic is the Mark VIII?

gen i's are .34 cd at stock ride height,and drop to .33 cd when car lowers at highway speeds.

IDK but back in the early 90s some ford engineers got a fairly stock one round 175mph at bonneville raceway in Utah. Hows that for aerodynamics?

That's very odd considering my ETC tops out just a little north of 150, has the same .33 coefficient of drag, 20hp more, and a 3.71 diff.

MediumD said:
That's very odd considering my ETC tops out just a little north of 150, has the same .33 coefficient of drag, 20hp more, and a 3.71 diff.
Bonneville Mark ran with 2:73 gears I believe which is what I'm putting in mine.

And I think once they removed the side mirrors, rear brakes (drag) and adjusted the suspension computer to lower more they got her up to 181. Weeeeeeeeeee!

Thats right, they got 175mph on their first run and then they removed the mirrors rear brakes. Then they dropped the car a little bit and then acheived a little bit over 182mph. And broke the record in their class, there was no other personal luxury car faster at the time.

MonsterMark said:
Bonneville Mark ran with 2:73 gears I believe which is what I'm putting in mine.

They must've been running it locked in 3rd gear then, or had some shorter than stock tires.

Scorpio1118_2000 said:
there was no other personal luxury car faster at the time.

Except in the 1/4 mile. And around turns. :p Not to bash the Mark VIII which is a good car, good enough for me to buy one and maybe another... but stock for stock it wasn't the fastest thing out there even in 93.

unity said:
How does this compare to other vehicles? Just curious :)
it compares decently for 1993,today its not anything special.

a toyota camry is .28.

but a 90's t-bird was .35 i believe.

most cars today range from .28 to .32-.33

a prius is .26,very good,but look what its built for,.....mpg.

a Lincoln Ls is .32.

they have been able to get good grag numbers from relatively boxy looking cars,has lots to do with how the air flows over car,but also how it flows into grill openings and then out back of hood,also how it flows under the bottom of the car,

my guess is that with most of our cars lowered more than stock we might be achieving .32 cd.

Just found the article.

The axle was changed to a 2.47 axle. We wanted to run in 3rd gear to have higher transmission efficiency. Anytime you have to turn a gear set, you are giving up power. Third gear is direct drive and you are not spinning any gears. So we figured we needed a 2.47 axle to run in 3rd gear.

http://mark8.org/lod/bonneville.htm

Scorpio1118_2000 said:
IDK but back in the early 90s some ford engineers got a fairly stock one round 175mph at bonneville raceway in Utah. Hows that for aerodynamics?

Average speed of 181 mph... best was I believe 182 that day. Set the record for its class.

article

Ooops should have read further..

Thanks guys I always wondered about the Cd of the Marks, I have been doing some work on CFD and CAD apps to see how they work for if I ever build a race car Ill have some understanding behind it!

EXPORT-nascar-image1-white.gif

stock for stock it wasn't the fastest thing out there even in 93.[/QUOTE]

Ok I will just say it was the fastest car at this particular event that day, dont be so technical.
It was at the bonneville salt FLATS, not laguna seca.:rolleyes: :(

If I could only fix my whistling door seal at 160, would make me so happy.

David

Hey that's Dan Hollerans car. He painted that car a looong time ago, bought it new I think also.

If stock is .34 I'm sure I get a least a .32.

Members online

Back