how do i clean my head lights?

remove headlight from vehicle.

use a hair dryer to remove condensation from inside light. Of course, remove all light bulbs to do this.

use clear RTV sealant to seal your headlight properly. Just put a new bead of sealant around where the clear lense and black housing meet. Let cure overnight. reinstall light in the morning.

Of course, you probably know more about that than me, Alax :p

I never had to cut the lights apart.

Yep. It's just a bad seal between the headlight/housing.

remove headlight from vehicle.

use a hair dryer to remove condensation from inside light. Of course, remove all light bulbs to do this.

use clear RTV sealant to seal your headlight properly. Just put a new bead of sealant around where the clear lense and black housing meet. Let cure overnight. reinstall light in the morning.

does this apply if the lens has a very light yellow haze to it? my 04 ls has a new light on the driver side and you can tell the difference between the two. i wanted to see if i could recondition the passenger side one...

The yellow haze is on the outside isn't it? The bad seal causes moister to get it. The yelllow haze is the clear coat comming of and now that it has less protection, get damaged from the sun and weather more easily. Just wetsand to get rid of that and it will look a lot cleaner

ok thanks. so they have these tools at autozone that you can put on the drill and it buffs it. do you think that will work?

btw, unrelated and sorry to hijack my own post, but i was thinking i really want angel eyes over everything else. i work 80 hours a week and don't have time to put things in the oven.

speaking of which, i talked to a local company and they said they could do the angel eyes... but i'm not sure they know what they're talking about because they said they need to put the lenses in the oven. from what i've been reading, don't the 04 LS lenses resist that?

Yup you are going to need to tell them they have to cut the lense apart and reseal... Something I would not really trust a company to do IMO. Unless of course they specialize in those type of mods and in that case it probably costs a fortune.

I got the opposite all my marks are exterior on the head lamps like the clear coat coming off from sun some wet sand shall do the trick?

wet sand and keep a consistent coat of wax on there - with the original clear coat gone it will need some caring.

I tried doing it last summer but was worried didn't know how much pressure or if i was even doing it right so i said let me get a lil more info before I try the whole light.

If you want good results, you can't rush it. On my old halogen headlights, I took my time on the first one and it came out good and clear, but I was tired when I started doing the second one so it didn't come out good. It stayed kind of foggy and not clear like new. I finally tackled it again before selling them and took my time and it came out the way it's suppose to.

http://www.digmyhonda.com/h/story.php?title=DIY_Wet_Sanding_Your_Head_Lights-

ok thanks. so they have these tools at autozone that you can put on the drill and it buffs it. do you think that will work?

btw, unrelated and sorry to hijack my own post, but i was thinking i really want angel eyes over everything else. i work 80 hours a week and don't have time to put things in the oven.

speaking of which, i talked to a local company and they said they could do the angel eyes... but i'm not sure they know what they're talking about because they said they need to put the lenses in the oven. from what i've been reading, don't the 04 LS lenses resist that?

Yeah, you could use that autoze kit. I think 3M has a kit with sand paper that attached to a drill bit they provide in that kit for your drill. You could benefit more from doing it by hand so you can learn how to wetsand by hand and get a feel for it just for future wetsanding projects

I guess they dont know about 03+ having black/permanent sealant. You'll have to cut them. I would do it myself, now that I know how hard it is, I would not pay a company 500+ to do that for me when I could do it and learn from it myself. It's not easy but definitely not that hard to scare you away.

hand and get a feel for it just for future wetsanding projects

i'm an orthopaedic surgeon. i know what you mean!

wish i had the talent with cars... i really suck at it

lol

But you have to start somewhere. Thats is why I love owning my car and not having it on a lease,so I can experiment and if I break something, it's ok cause it's mine and I'll fix it. I can cut things off do custom work to it and make it to my liking but not an a lease.

My brother in law just did the headlights on his lexus GS300, he wet sanded the with a 2000 grit then buffed and then applied a layer of uv clearcoat, he repeated the same steps twice. I was amazed as was he at how much brighter his hids are. The headlights a so smoth also. I am planning on doing mine this weekend since the weather is clearing up now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back