How healthy is your LS?

fbird18

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I’m just curious how long you’ve had your current LS and what you’ve had to do to it to keep it going.

I’ve had my 01 V8 for a year now, it’s got 115,200 miles on it and in the 23,000 miles we have driven together, here’s what I’ve replaced:

window regulator (dr. side front)
coil on plugs (8)
fuel injectors (8)
sway bar end links (both)

I have sneaking suspicion that I will have a bit more this spring, like:
sway bar bushings
struts
rack and pinion w/ outer tie rod ends

I just wonder how mine stacks up against other peoples cars as far as being “reliable”. Oh, and btw, I don’t race my car at the track or anything. Just a couple stop light runs is all. Also, don't know if the previous owner had the transmission flushed, but, is that something I should have done by now?

these threads happen every few months but it's good because we get to see how the cars progress (or degress... heh) over time.

mine: 2000 LS V8, 67.5k miles. bought at 52k in Feb, 2006. at the time the only known issue was a faulty clockspring, so the airbag light was on. a few months later the CEL came on, pulled the error code, said it was the driver's side catalytic converter operating below threshold. never fixed it and CEL went away and car passed smog check just fine so it wasn't the cat (probably just a faulty sensor). later that year in December i think my rear brake light bulb melted into the tail light assembly. but other than that no major problems and it drove like a champ for a solid 2 years.

earlier this year the problems hit. door handle broke, coolant reservoir got a leak, coil/VCG problem started, rotors/pads are shot, headlights are fogging, thankfully nothing else too major. never had an issue with ball joints, sway bar, window regulators or some of the other common LS problems. knock on wood though... with my luck some of those will hit me as soon as i fix the coils :p

I have an 01 V8 with about 83k miles She needs a new left tirod, and lower ball joints. I think thats about it though. I went through her pertty good the other day and she looks good! I just changed my plugs and filters (all of them) and think shes gonna be ready to let her nuts sag a bit on the track in a week when it opens

I am the original owner of a 2000 LS (manual transmission), with 127000 miles. I have not modified it in anyway and it is only used for regular daily driving.

I have had nearly every problem listed on this forum at one time or another. I have had to replace only two coils, though I sense a third is about to be replaced. I also have a radio display that has gone out, a window regulator problem, fuel line problem, clockspring replacement, sway bar replacement, some sort of fuel line problem - takes forever to re-fuel, the moon roof had to be replaced, the rear fold down seats have been a problem in the past, lug nuts have been stripped.

You name it, I have probably had it. I will be trading the car in this summer for either a Inf. M, BMW 5 series, or the new Jag XF.

Why do problems always happen together/at the same time? I've had my car for almost three years now (about 20k miles). It has been perfect, except for the coils (obivously). Now all of a sudden I need a new battery/soleniod, more coils, and a new master cylinder.

Other than that though, everything's been perfect.

2004 LS V8 Sport 80 K miles
Ash tray
DCC valve
Overhead console (sunglass holder)
One coil (took two to find it)
Brake pads and rotors x 4 (normal wear)
Tires x 4 (normal wear)
One lug and one stud
No problems now.

2006 LS V8 Ultimate 25K miles
Tires X 2 (side wall failures, not covered)
Front bumper cover (hit a tire in the road)
One fog light (broken by rock?)
I believe the right front bearing seal has failed, but no bearing problems yet.
CD changer keeps failing, but not for the dealer.
No other problems.

Over all, probably the least problems of any cars I've had.

no problems thus far, although i am pretty sure a coil is going... every now and then i get a shudder at idle and my EGR system light turns on.... all in all though i've had it for around 10,000 miles and haven't been stranded, had anything fall off, broken down... although i've come pretty close to E on the tank more than once :)

'01 v6 non-sport automatic. Had it for about 4 years now. 153,000 miles.

drivers window regulator
passenger window regulator
dread "tear the engine apart to replace" PCV hose
clockspring
passenger rear wheel bearing (drivers is starting to make noise now!)
lug nuts all replaced because they are crap
leaking headlight (moisture inside)
top radiator hose burst
water pump
sway bar busings
ball joint came loose from lower control arm
CEL is currently on for "EGR valve insufficient flow"
Automatic windshield wipers have never worked

2 coils all 8 spark plugs so far. Have a thermostat waiting to be put in when it warms up. 2001 V8 with aroun 90K.

My 02 v8 just turned 65,700 miles today. Have no real troublw with it at the moment except for a slight fluctuation in idle when braking hard to a stop when warm. Probably just need to clean out the IAC and TB. The clunk out of the rear end has become slightly more evident when down shifting and sometimes when going into gear. And the front sway bar bushings quack at me sometimes over speed bumps.

Upcoming maintenance will include a cooling system flush and thermostat replacement, bleeding the brakes, and maybe flushing the transmission fluid and changing the fluid in the diff.

CEL is currently on for "EGR valve insufficient flow"
That should be a very simple fix. All you have to do is remove the valve and clean the carbon buildup out of it and the ports.

got it @ 76,000 had it a year had to replace trans valvebody now I have 115,000 and had the Lower Ball Joints And driver side Control arm this a.m.

Work done since new

I have an '02 V-8 Sport bought new---now 112K miles

During the first 40K the dealer changed the oil and rotated the tires every 5K miles.
They also replaced the brakes---possibly due to a recall? because they worked just fine.
Also had to repair sensors? for ABS and Sensitrak. Worked alright but the dash icons were lit.

After I decided to race it on the Monster Mile at Maxton where I hold national records in two classes, (See Land Speed LS in the HP section), I replaced one coil and re-did gaskets, replaced a mal-functioning alternator, re-did fuel line from the filter forward, replaced filter, replaced the brakes with ceramic/metallic, put on the third set of tires---245-45 R18 Michelin Pilot 2 and 18" Verde wheels, and replaced the driver's door inside handle. We also built and installed a separate methanol fuel system for the spray, a 70% belly-pan and a full roll-cage and a fire-supression system.

At present, I have a coil malfunctioning---although it hasn't thrown a code yet---, need a clockspring, and the traction and ABS icons come on intermittantly but both systems work just fine.

I don't have any noises; suspension is working just fine---although it could use better shocks and swaybar links, and although disregarding the present coil malfunction, (working with Accel to come up with 'hot' coils as an upgrade), the engine is working just fine, I'm waiting for a new set of custom forged pistons and new aluminium rods for the 4 litre Jag engine that will be a replacement. This will allow the better use of the pair of Garret turbos and my already-installed NX 300 Pro spray system. When I replace the engine, I'll also put in a gone-through trans and, very likely a 'locking' differential.

Considering the use it's had, it's the most trouble-free car I've ever owned. I've averaged a new car about every 2-3 years since 1964, and we trade the wife's every two years.
KenS from Ben's Place

2000 V6, 137k with some change, had it since 97k. Problems: Coolant reservior, coolant hose rotted, ball joints, thermostat, blown speakers, three tabs broken on the glove box 6 disc, valve cover gaskets, 6 coils, clockspring, 1 window regulator, front pass. door latch, front pass inside door handle, DCCV is currently out of commission and with the temp. rising I need to get on it, no problems with lug nuts (thus far), ohh, and when I move the gear selector over to D4 nothing happens. I suspect it to be electronic malfunction of some sort. I've changed the cabin air filter once. I think that just about covers it. I love my Lincoln.

2005 V8 Ultimate, 44,000 Miles. Nav, Xenons. All switches and buttons work. Headliner is starting to drop just alittle near the third brake lamp, possibly in part to the South Texas heat.

Brakes squeal like a school bus, likely the wear indicators… Akebono Pro-Act and S/S lines ordered, due here Monday. Any suggestions on synthetic brake fluid? Vehicle is completely stock.

Dealer oil changes with semi-synthetic.

Will need tires at 50,000 miles.

Only complaint is wished it was smoother under light throttle application from stop. She wants to be launched every time. Possibly the transmission, high-stall converter? Is there a Computer re-flash to help?

Absolutely fine vehicle for the money… and always turns heads. Even from newer Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, etc owners.

Members online

No members online now.
Back