How much of a sacrifce are 3.73s vs 4.10s

Dern Humpus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Im looking to do a couple mods to my mark, but I do a lot of highway driving and really do not want to replace the driveshaft, so I am wondering how much I would be sacrificing by going with a 3.73 ratio rather than 4.10s. Mods would most likely just be the rear end, nitrous and supporting mods.

Dern Humpus said:
Mods would most likely just be the rear end, nitrous and supporting mods.
I'd just get a Ford trac-loc pumpkin with the 3:73's already installed and call it a day. This way you get posi and a little taller gear to get up in the revs quicker. Plus you'll stay out of the secondaries which is key when cruising on the highway.

MonsterMark said:
I'd just get a Ford trac-loc pumpkin with the 3:73's already installed and call it a day. This way you get posi and a little taller gear to get up in the revs quicker. Plus you'll stay out of the secondaries which is key when cruising on the highway.

:I

How much should a pumkin with the gears in it go for?Any links to find these? Thanks :steering

You can also use any trac loc from any 8.8 28 spline rear end and save some money. I personally think if you are going to go through the trouble of doing gears might as well get the 4.10 or 4.30.

Any idea how much I'll sacrafice in 1/4 mile performance? On nitrous/ NA? Rough estimates would be fine.

.1-.2 tenths probably NA. Nitrous depends on how much power you will be making you might not lose any performance.

95LSC32V said:
.1-.2 tenths probably NA. Nitrous depends on how much power you will be making you might not lose any performance.

I have my 96 with 4.10's and I tell ya its perrfect for me, fun and safety. at 80mph I am just under 3k rpm, I don't want that going above 3k so I try to keep it under 80mph... who need to be doing over hat on the roads today? I've made it up to 130-140 with 4.10's so it can get up there. just go with them, you'lll be happy.

you will lose 1-2 MPG with 4.10's if mileage is a concern. I am going with 3.73's personally decent blend of off the line power but still has some top end.

BlackMark8Li said:
I have my 96 with 4.10's and I tell ya its perrfect for me, fun and safety. at 80mph I am just under 3k rpm, I don't want that going above 3k so I try to keep it under 80mph... who need to be doing over hat on the roads today? I've made it up to 130-140 with 4.10's so it can get up there. just go with them, you'lll be happy.

Do you have an aftermarket driveshaft? That is one of the main things I am trying to stay away from.

You will need an aftermarket driveshaft with 4.10 gears. You maybe able to get away with a 93 1 piece driveshaft which you can find at the junkyard. You will need the 93 driveshaft for 3.73 also.

Hi I pick up a 3.73 rear end from max at 5 star is around $650.00. about a year ago
I have a 93 mark VIII, it has the one piece shaft. I had the car up to 90 very smooth!!, one thing I need is to get a chip, and I’m still looking around

Rick

267.jpeg

268.jpeg

You can get 28 spline T-Lok rears on Ebay cheaply all the time as well as gears. Rebuild kits are cheap as well. I am replacing the rear on my Mustang with a Powertrax locker, the stock T-Lok will be rebuilt and go into the Mark along with gears.

You can also get Motive 3.90 gears which are a good comprimise.

95LSC32V said:
You can also get Motive 3.90 gears which are a good comprimise.

Hmm, does anyone actually know if these will work properly ?

I would be very interested in 3.90's because I don't want to go for the bad boy 4.10's. :feedback

Every mark 8 owner that I know that went with 3.73's said they should have gone with 4.10's. Every mark 8 owner that I know (including me) that has 4.10's loves them. I figure that if you are going to spend the money for gears, do it right the first time and go with 4.10's.

crash said:
Every mark 8 owner that I know that went with 3.73's said they should have gone with 4.10's. Every mark 8 owner that I know (including me) that has 4.10's loves them. I figure that if you are going to spend the money for gears, do it right the first time and go with 4.10's.

I totaly agree, I might just throw in the 4.10's and be done with it. Yea, that's my final decision. It will be done within the next month.
:Beer

StraDog said:
I totaly agree, I might just throw in the 4.10's and be done with it. Yea, that's my final decision. It will be done within the next month.
:Beer

Good. Your talking a few hundred rpm difference between the two. I have 4.10's in the 95, and would NEVER trade them for anything else. BTW, your gonna need a different driveshaft either way. :)

94m5 said:
Good. Your talking a few hundred rpm difference between the two. I have 4.10's in the 95, and would NEVER trade them for anything else. BTW, your gonna need a different driveshaft either way. :)

That's what I'm scared of... the expensive driveshaft ! I'm going to try and put em in and not worry about a driveshaft for a while.. I drive at 90 mph fine with no vibrations. I hope I don't have to invest in a driveshaft right away.. but I would definently get one later.

StraDog said:
That's what I'm scared of... the expensive driveshaft ! I'm going to try and put em in and not worry about a driveshaft for a while.. I drive at 90 mph fine with no vibrations. I hope I don't have to invest in a driveshaft right away.. but I would definently get one later.

I don't think it is the vibration you are going to have to worry about. With all that additional torque being transferred I don't think it will last long structurally.

Members online

No members online now.
Back