How to Reseat the Dipstick?

bmoranmd10

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm most of the way through the valve cover/coil/spark plug job. Both valve covers have been replaced. Working on buttoning up the drivers side. I move the dipstick outta the way, but now it won't reseat properly. I can't get the nut down onto the bolt the holds it in place. Any ideas?

Man the drivers side was a bear! So much stuff to dismantle to get to the valve cover, and the freakin bolts on the bottom, can you say bloody knuckles? :) Oh well, I know I'm saving mucho dinero doing it myself. thanks for any help with the dipstick issue

Brian

bmoranmd10 said:
Hey everyone, I'm most of the way through the valve cover/coil/spark plug job. Both valve covers have been replaced. Working on buttoning up the drivers side. I move the dipstick outta the way, but now it won't reseat properly. I can't get the nut down onto the bolt the holds it in place. Any ideas?

Man the drivers side was a bear! So much stuff to dismantle to get to the valve cover, and the freakin bolts on the bottom, can you say bloody knuckles? :) Oh well, I know I'm saving mucho dinero doing it myself. thanks for any help with the dipstick issue

Brian

You know what job is worse than that? Passenger side sway bar bushing. HSBM! I am pissed right now. I had to give up before I sledged the car to death.

Try twisting the dipstick tube a little back and forth to make sure you have it at the right angle, then rest the end of a screwdriver on it and tap the screwdriver with a hammer. Those little taps should help it in. I have had a couple of emails about that one. I guess it is pretty easy to "tweak" it just a little bit to make it harder to get back in.

Let us know how it goes!

Got it back in that night. A friend stopped by to help me finish up. He reached as far down the dipstick tube as he could, working it back and forth, while I applied downward pressure from the top. 30 seconds of working it back and forth and it finally settled back in place.

we need to start giving out ribbons or merit badges for some of these pain in the :q jobs we get ourselves involved in. I thank the all mighty every day that I show up to work on computers becasue everytime one of us has to turn a wrench there is always a bad story in the background waiting to be told.

Members online

No members online now.
Back