If you use EBC brakes, you might want to inspect them..

NYC LS8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This was my fun weekend...

I had a low speed "clunk clunk clunk" when on the brakes, sounded like it was coming from the front driver's side. Ok, no biggie..I got some ceramic pads from my local parts place and swapped them out yesterday. Get them done, take it for a ride and the noise is gone. No wait, it's not. So I hop in my truck and head to AutoZone and pick up 2 front rotors, 2 rear rotors and a set of rear pads since I need to have this car running for my long weekend down in Virginia Beach in a few weeks.

Fast forward to this morning...

I pop off the rear driver's side wheel since I heard a nasty grinding noise along with the clunk and what do I see? The outward pad was completely gone from the backing plate and wore a groove into the outer part of my rotors. Get that side done and start on the rear passenger side rotor and pads. Looks like the other side was getting ready to explode as well.

IMG00119.jpg

IMG00120.jpg

IMG00125.jpg

IMG00123.jpg

IMG00124.jpg

I'm curious if these are supposed to be high performance pads, how does a pad disintergrate from normal commuting? This car doesn't do burn outs, I don't drive it hard (I can't with the shape of the roads around here). These things were a year and one month old. I put these on last June.

I've left the front EBC rotors on for now, mainly because there's no noise or problems yet. You can bet your keesters that I will never again use this brand for brakes - on anything.

I suggest checking yours if you use them. If you have no signs of cracking or breaking, etc., consider yourself lucky. This could have been a very bad accident waiting to happen.

IMG00122.jpg

Have you contacted EBC about your experience or sent them your pictures? So you had you're slotted and drilled rotors ruined by those brakes too? Sorry about that, man. Glad nothing more serious did not happen.

Were those the reds or the greens?

... and glad to see you caught the problem before anything bad happened.

Haven't contacted anyone as of yet, as I just got done with them a little before posting this thread. Not sure if I'm gonna bother. Maybe I'll make Ken aware since that's where I got them from.

These were the Redstuff pads, BTW.

Sorry to hear about this. But just one more reason why I personally stick with OEM pads and rotors. I will get them at a discount and put them on myself, but motorcraft parts for me.

I don't get it. It doesn't look to me from the pictures like the pads failed. It looks like the one was just worn down to the metal. In the other pictures of the pads they look alright, just used. Possibly that caliper is hanging up and not applying pressure evenly to both sides.

Feel free to explain why I'm wrong. I admit ignorance on this one.

What I think the problem is, is that the pads are worn out after only 1 year. daily commuting, with minimal spirited driving.

How can pads completely wear out in 12-15K miles? How long are brake pads normally good for? I would think at LEAST 50-60K. But I've never checked.

Exactly my point. ESPECIALLY the rears. I could maybe see if it were the fronts that grenaded themselves.

Make sure your calipers aren't sticking/siezed. I've seen this happen before, just recently on a Nissan Sentra 2001. I forget if it was the outboard or inboard, but one of the pads was worn down to the metal while the other had a long ways to go. The caliper was in bad shape from corrosion (NE winters!). The caliper slide bolts were fused to the caliper. Upon trying to slide them out they broke. I ended up replacing both front calipers... Better safe then sorry.

id also say something is hanging up, caliper, caliper slides or maybe the pad was just stuck in the arbor, seen all 3 happen many many times on any car. you want everything to move as free as possible.

The only thing not mentioned which he explained to me is that the noise and the result happened right after a hard braking, so from seeing the findings I would say on the hard brake the pad seperated from the backing and got spit out. I have my EBC Green's a lot more miles and time than his and mine are still going.

Not only that but since it was worn down so much if one of the slots on the rotors hit it as he was applying the brakes it coulda caught it and caused it to chip off like that. Just my 2 cents..

mine are starting to show similar wear ill tear it apart tomorrow and see how bad things are getting

Not only that but since it was worn down so much if one of the slots on the rotors hit it as he was applying the brakes it coulda caught it and caused it to chip off like that. Just my 2 cents..

I think that's what happened here. I knew I shoulda left the stock crap on there in the first place, all around. What a waste of 6 bills. lol

Yeah, you coulda used that 600 to buy some Autosocks...

i see the autozone pads back there. i have cmax gold in the back now and really like them. quiet, dust free. good bite. seems to have slightly less feel but that could be because its actually smooth again. went with undrilled painted centric rotors.

it happens i had them and the went fast one time i got durlast pads and they went just like that in 4 months of driving

I have a friend who had a 98 Conti that spit the friction portion out of the rears several times, leaving the backer metal in the caliper...almost sounds like a Ford problem.
I also have EBC brakes, and everything is very good, no problems at all. I inspected them last weekend. I have about 20-24K on them, when I replaced the fronts, and inspected the rears.
Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.
Back