IMRCs help!

SJSharkVIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
What is a fair price to pay for imrcs and controller off of a 96 cobra?
Is there anything that ishould be looking for before ibuy them?, im getting parts together for a cobra intake swap.

thanx

Not sure. But what year is this going in? For some reason I thought the IMRCs were electronically controlled on the 96 Cobra.

Also, the IMRCs are not much different than the ones in a Mark, if at all.

I think the '96-98 Cobra IMRCs are the same as the '97-'98 Mark VIII IMRCs?

They are the same design as the 97-98's, but I believe they are phenolic. They only question I would have, is how are you going to activate them. I believe that box is still controlled by the puter. Is it not?

97-98 Mark VIII IMRC plates are the same as 98 Cobra plates. They are in fact phenolic, and are the preffered type of IMRC due to heat barrier they provide.

96-97 Cobra IMRC plates are aluminum and the design is similiar to those in the latter years.

Either ones can be used with the 96-98 cobra intake.

To activate the IMRC control box with a 93-96 Mark VIII computer, you have to wire in a relay to reverse the signal polarity and supply additional voltage to the box. Once you test all the inputs and outputs, it's easy to figure out.

Thanks guys so i guess im now looking for 97 mark imrcs and controller. What about deleting them will i be smog legal still?

Last edited:
The IMRCs have nothing to do with emissions, they are all about performance.

What's your motivation for removing or replacing your current IMRCs?

If you delete them (remove the butterfly valves leaving everything open) your low end torque will suffer. I do not know how badly, but I've heard repeatedly it is a significant amount.

The 97/98 MK8 IMRC's are the same as the 98 Cobra, they are the best plastic design with less heatsoak. Do not delete your IMRC's.

Members online

No members online now.
Back