IMRCs question

chris

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source on theory of operation or some such for the function of the IMRC? I've read here that if they are non operational or deleted that you lose low end torque. It just got me to thinking trying to figure out how they work or rather what function they perform. Thanks.

chris said:
Does anyone have a source on theory of operation or some such for the function of the IMRC? I've read here that if they are non operational or deleted that you lose low end torque. It just got me to thinking trying to figure out how they work or rather what function they perform. Thanks.

To put it simply, the IMRCs rotate a set of secondly butterfly valves (similar to a throttle butterfly) that open and close the ports to 16 of the 32 valves in our engines.

Sucking air through all 16 intake valves is unnecessary at low rpms, so the engines sucks air through only 8 valves. By only having to move air through the volume of 8 ports, this greatly increases air velcoity at low rpms and allows the cylinder to ingest more air at lower rpms. Port velocity is VERY important at low rpms to make low rpm power.

At higher rpms, the IMRC butterflies open to reveal the second set of ports, allowing all 16 intake valves to breath. This is obviously very important, as the primary ports do not have the volume to deliver enough airflow to the engine at higher rpms.

If they become inoperable, stuck in the open position, you will lose low end power. If they are deleted, you will have all 16 valves and ports breathing at all rpms. This will cause a loss of port velocity at low rpms, and cost you low end power.

Thank you thats exactly the info I was looking for.

hey chris, i've got almost the exact same car. nice! :)

How would one go about deleting the Right Side IMRC? And would it eliminate the check engine light problem I'm having? Does anyone have a .pdf or good instructions on how to do this?

TY

subzero24 said:
hey chris, i've got almost the exact same car. nice! :)

How would one go about deleting the Right Side IMRC? And would it eliminate the check engine light problem I'm having? Does anyone have a .pdf or good instructions on how to do this?

TY
cant you just remove the check engine light bulb before you get the car tested? id try it before messing with the engine

Dominus said:
To put it simply, the IMRCs rotate a set of secondly butterfly valves (similar to a throttle butterfly) that open and close the ports to 8 of the 16 intake valves in our engines.

Sucking air through all 16 intake valves is unnecessary at low rpms, so the engines sucks air through only 8 valves. By only having to move air through the volume of 8 ports, this greatly increases air velcoity at low rpms and allows the cylinder to ingest more air at lower rpms. Port velocity is VERY important at low rpms to make low rpm power.

At higher rpms, the IMRC butterflies open to reveal the second set of ports, allowing all 16 intake valves to breath. This is obviously very important, as the primary ports do not have the volume to deliver enough airflow to the engine at higher rpms.

If they become inoperable, stuck in the open position, you will lose low end power. If they are deleted, you will have all 16 valves and ports breathing at all rpms. This will cause a loss of port velocity at low rpms, and cost you low end power.

Fixed a minor boo-boo there. :)

ImportEater said:
cant you just remove the check engine light bulb before you get the car tested? id try it before messing with the engine

it varies state to state,but her in Pa.when they test emmissions,on 1996 and newer cars (obd ii)
they first verify cel lights up by turning key on,then they run tests.

so taking the bulb out will fail right away since the light nevere comes on to start test. :(

I am wondering, if you disconnect the cable to the IMRCs and leave them in the closed position (secure them down) if that would get by emissions until proper repairs could be effected?

the whole removing the light thing does not work. they look for stuff like that.

after another mechanic's diagnosis they say that the right IMRC motor was bad
so i just bought a brand new one from maxx at five star ford (the ad to the right). $275, a pretty good price for new.

now i just gotta pay my friends to do the job, or maybe a mechanic that will guarantee an emissions pass.

Members online

No members online now.
Back