Is this how it's supposed to drive?

BostonLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I recently bought a 2002 LSV8. I'm still getting used to how it drives and what not. Just one question. From a standstill and accelerating moderately (city driving), as it's going through the gears it doesn't really jump into the next gear (like an SUV or my roommates Acura 3.2TL). It almost slides into it, very smoothly by the way. It seems that it almost lags for a fraction of a second as it shifts to the next gear. Just wondering is this how the LS tranny is supposed to perform? I guess I'm showing my ignorance of cars. Never really owned or driven a "luxury" V8. Only v6's and V-tec honda motors which seem to jump/lurch to the next gear. Any advice/info would be appreciated. I don't want to take it to a Lincoln dealership only to have the mechanics point and laugh at me, I'll let you all point and laugh instead. Thanks for the help.

:feedback

KJK

A Lincoln is a more refined vehicle than the ones you spoke of. It's made to give you the smoothest ride you can buy. Thats the only thing I can think of. This is my 2nd Lincoln, my first was the same way. My 2 sons also have Lincolns, 1 has a 97 Mark VIII the other a Town Car. The both very smooth. I guess just keep in mind that its a luxury car.

Disconnect the battery cables, clamp them together and press the brakes. Heck leave them off for at least 15 to 20 minutes. This will reset the pcm. I am not certain about the 02 but the 00 and 01 had TSBs for shifting problems. I will look into the 02 TSBs.

eL eS said:
Disconnect the battery cables, clamp them together and press the brakes. Heck leave them off for at least 15 to 20 minutes. This will reset the pcm. I am not certain about the 02 but the 00 and 01 had TSBs for shifting problems. I will look into the 02 TSBs.

EL, You lost me on this one. Once you clear the PCM, and then drive the car again this resets the way the trans shifts???

Fordman said:
EL, You lost me on this one. Once you clear the PCM, and then drive the car again this resets the way the trans shifts???
The PCM learns how hard to shift from the way the car is driven.
You can either wait for the PCM to learn your driving style or reset the PCM and start new.
The learning process is kind of like the the mpg readout. If you baby the car it may get 24+ mpg, but if you drive it like you stole it then baby it, it takes alot longer to get to that 24 mpg unless you reset.

MikeB said:
The PCM learns how hard to shift from the way the car is driven.
You can either wait for the PCM to learn your driving style or reset the PCM and start new.
The learning process is kind of like the the mpg readout. If you baby the car it may get 24+ mpg, but if you drive it like you stole it then baby it, it takes alot longer to get to that 24 mpg unless you reset.

Gotcha...Okay so if you clear it, then drive real hard will it hit the gears harder??

Fordman said:
Gotcha...Okay so if you clear it, then drive real hard will it hit the gears harder??
That should do the trick.
One side note, after I cleared mine, it ran like crap for a couple minutes while it was relearning different settings so I wouldn't dog it too bad for a minute or two.

eL eS said:

Noah,

What else does resetting the PCM (what is that an abbreviation for by the way) do? Have you found anything about the '02 TSB's (abbreviation?)

Thanks for all the info by the way, I'm learning more about my car than I am working right now...Can I get fired for that???

KJK

BostonLS said:
Noah,

What else does resetting the PCM (what is that an abbreviation for by the way) do? Have you found anything about the '02 TSB's (abbreviation?)

Thanks for all the info by the way, I'm learning more about my car than I am working right now...Can I get fired for that???

KJK

Boston, me too. I'm suppose to be working!! Yeah Right LOL.. I'm learning more every day too.

me, too.
Im always thinking "it's time to check out LVC"
every chance I get I come here to see what new threads are in.
Im so addicted.
I come to work just to check LVC...

loveLSE said:
me, too.
Im always thinking "it's time to check out LVC"
every chance I get I come here to see what new threads are in.
Im so addicted.
I come to work just to check LVC...

Its really bad. I do the same thing. I can read for hours. Thank God my boss is never here. When I'm home I just have no time.

Fordman said:
Its really bad. I do the same thing. I can read for hours. Thank God my boss is never here. When I'm home I just have no time.

Ooops...Busted here too. I need to get back to work. :)

BTW Fordman...Nice line on that transmission lag being a refined character. I was rolling when I read that. :)

BostonLS said:
the PCM (what is that an abbreviation for by the way)?
PCM - Process or Powertrain Control Module
Some people call it an ECU - Electronic Control Unit
Ford calls it an EEC - Electronic Engine Controller
BostonLS said:
TSB's (abbreviation?)
TSB - Technical Service Bulletin, this is what the factory puts out when they find a problem and what to do to correct it.

Kbob said:
PCM - Process or Powertrain Control Module
Some people call it an ECU - Electronic Control Unit
TSB - Technical Service Bulletin, this is what the factory puts out when they find a problem and what to do to correct it.

fordman,
Finally figured out that you were having a little fun with me, with the help of lsbit. No worrries there, I'm still a bit slow on the car humor. But on a somewhat serious note, is transmission lag a problem that I need to get checked out or can I fix it by resetting the PCM? Is it bad for the car?

Kbob, thanks for the information, I appreciate it...

KJK

Kbob said:
Actually, Ford used to call it EEC, at least until the EEC-V controllers that came in with the mod motors. All of the references I've seen lately have called it a PCM, or Powertrain Control Module (to differentiate it from the other control systems in the car). The service department at my local Lincoln dealership calls it a Powertrain Control Module.

I couldn't swear to it, but this may be part of the OBD-II standardization, since Powertrain error codes all start with P on OBD-II systems.

BostonLS said:
fordman,
Finally figured out that you were having a little fun with me, with the help of lsbit. No worrries there, I'm still a bit slow on the car humor. But on a somewhat serious note, is transmission lag a problem that I need to get checked out or can I fix it by resetting the PCM? Is it bad for the car?

Kbob, thanks for the information, I appreciate it...

KJK

With these transmissions, you are going to get a little lag between shifts, at times. It does wear on the friction material to smooth out shifts that way, but I have not heard of anyone having one of these transmissions get "worn out" this way. Most people are having problems with valve bodies and selonoid packs. Here is a link that has some info on the transmission. Someone had posted it on another thread here.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/misc/r-and-d-gt.html

sorry been a bit out of the loop for a while. I did not see any TSBs on the harsh/delayed shifting that the 00 and 01 had. If you do a reset it will reprogram itself to match your driving habbits so if you bought the car used and are really getting so sloppy shifting it could be at a point where it is trying to adapt but has not completely reprogrammed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back