Jmod clarification

banktaculous

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 lincoln mark viii and from what I’ve gathered I can just change the separator plate from the valve body since the 98 4r70w have the updated springs and that would give me firmer shifts. I have the separator plate and the holes are drilled but here is where I need the clarification. I’ve called three different shops and have been given three different answers. 1st one told me I would need to change out the springs, 2nd one told me they could do it but nothing happen. 3rd one told me they’ve never heard of that.

You do not need the change the springs if they are okay. I think though, even a 98 can get a bad spring. Just not common.

Anyway. Its a really, really easy job to do if you already have the plate ready to go. You can leave the springs in or remove the 3-4 (I think, or is it 2-3?). Read the article, the actual tech-article, and you can decide what you wish to do.

An no, many shops probably never heard of this. Also, if you do it yourself and dive into it. Replace the vulcanized rubber balls with new ones. They are cheap and they can wear down. I had one stuck right smack in the plate. Looked like that fat kid stuck in that tube from Willy Wonka.

Change the valve body's (separator plate) if the holes are already drilled like they should be. You'll need 2 gaskets for the plate. Upper and lower. No new springs or accumulators will be needed. If you want the 2nd gear to be real firm, remove the lower spring from the 1-2 shift accumulator. That job can be done from start to finish within an hour 1/2 easily.

Yes, you will feel a difference, especially if you remove the lower spring from the 1-2 accumulator.

its not the springs that are updated in any of the tranny's, one of them tends to break in half in any of them, but its the accumulator piston you upgrade, the springs are the same from 93-98. they redesigned the piston itself so it doesnt score the hell out of the bore.

if I may chime in, because I too am looking into this after I determined my 1/2 spring is the culprit of my recent tranny problem, I was reading the article over here but the process wasn't too apparent to me. Probably because I'm not a mechanic, do I need to print the whole thing for my mechanic? Or is there a certain section?

I called max based on this post I found in a search and ordered the springs and such for jmod

Is this the directions specifically?

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/shiftybusiness.html

also do I need to do the 2/3 to do the jmod?
Thanks

The 2-3 isn't a "have to" situation but I strongly suggest doing the 1-2 accumulator but.... in order to do the 2-3, the pan has to come off so while you're in there, you may as well replace that one too. If it were a 98, there wouldn't be any need to replace either one unless they were damaged which is extremely rare.

It's possible since you do have a 97, it might have the stamp on it letting you know that it does in fact have the upgrade already. Someone might have a picture of this but there are some 97's that already have the upgraded accumulators. I just can't remember where at on the trans that gives you the indication that it has the upgraded parts. They put it on the trans from the factory and it seems like it's yellow or something. Might be a sticker or thin metal stamped on the housing.

Anyone know where to buy a J-Mod? I want to put a high stall torque converter and need the J-Mod. In addition I am going to install gears at a later date.
The official website - http://www.vapauto.com/jmod.htm
does not offer them anymore and eBay has nothing.
Im thinking about calling the dealership but I know Ill be paying out the ass for one.

The official site? Thats funny right there!

Do some people just not get "it"? :) The J-Mod is, for all intents, a "home-brew" application. If anyone has NOT read the article. PLEASE do that! I have link right here:

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/shiftybusiness.html

But basically Jerry, a Ford Transmission tech, developed this modification to help lengthen the life of the trans. The side effect is quicker shifts, etc. Its like a shift kit, but instead of killing the trans it helps it live longer by reducing some pressures and heat.

If you call any Ford dealer. They will have no clue. If you call most trans shops, they will also have no clue. Its a very, very simple modification so long as the directions are followed. I did mine in an afternoon with a friend. We bought new drill bits to make sure things were spot on. Also picked up (for free) some check balls from a shop. No work needs to be done to the valve body really, its all in the plate. Most of the work is just getting the plate in and out.

Read up, search up and learn! :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back