Leaking power steering fitting

Kool LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Was replacing my A/C compressor and trying to fish it out of the car (which was a major pain) and in the process of pulling it out I believe I caused a leak at this Power Steering fitting between the tubing and the nut itself.

Questions:
1. Should the tubing that goes into the fitting twist?
2. Do I need the lincoln part for this or can I fabricate one of these using a flaring tool? I noticed it is not a standard fitting it must be a 18mm size.
3. Getting the A/C compressor out was a major pain. How do i snake the compressor in without messing this line up again when i replace it and reinstall the compressor (the hoses below get in the way)?

Thanks,
Kool LS

IMG_3179 med.jpg

Questions:
1. Should the tubing that goes into the fitting twist?
2. Do I need the lincoln part for this or can I fabricate one of these using a flaring tool? I noticed it is not a standard fitting it must be a 18mm size.
Thanks,
Kool LS

1. Yes, it should rotate in the fitting with little effort.
2. I would get the correct part. Due to the way the hose spins freely, it probably can't be done with a standard flaring tool.

Thanks Joegr. I'm getting a new PS line today and will install it tonight, hopefully.

If anyone knows what order and how to install these two items (A/C Compressor or Power Steering Pressure line fitting to pump) please let me know. The old A/C compressor barely came out with the PS line in place (that's likely why the PS line is now leaking at the fitting and has to be replaced). I know All Data says the compressor just comes out with removing the power steering bracket lines, but i had to practically wrestle the old compressor out past the exisitng Power steering lines and A/C manifold lines.

Mechanic friend mentioned loosening one of the motor mounts and jacking up one side of the engine might help get the compressor out/in easier. Any one have any experience do this?

Install which one 1st?
A. AC Compressor (would be easier since PS line could be moved out of the way, but hard to reconnect the PS pump Power steering pressure line fitting to the P/S pump).

Or

B. PS Pressure line (install before installing AC compressor?)

Kool LS
2000 LS V8

Members online

No members online now.
Back