Left front caliper won't bleed... Help!

Archer28

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the problem is...I took it to the dealership and told them my brakes were "mushy" all of a sudden. They told me it was my problem and that I needed brake shoes (not under warranty).
No problem, I buy a nice pair of ceramix from NAPA, put them on today... still mushy.

I didn't believe the new pads would fix it in the first place, but I was hopeful.

Sooo...today I bleed (or try to bleed) the front calipers. The right caliper bled fine with a small bubble in the line, but the left would not bleed. Only half a spoonful of fluid would ever come out after letting it set for a minute or so.

Sooo...I take it for a spin and hit the brakes hard in some pea gravel... only the right brake seems to be working!

Long story short, the dealership sent my family home in a car with no left front brake.

Any guesses what the problem may be? Master cylinder? Collapsed hose? Something in the traction control?

Opinions appreciated!

So the car is under warranty but they wont fix it? I would go back down there, make a scene and demand they fix the problem and reimburse you for the pads you needlessly bought! What a stinkin dealership!

there may be something clogging the line....

all the brake line come off the ABS module so if you 'feel' like troubleshooting you could diconnect the line at both ends and see if it's blocked....

Be VERY careful if you disconnect any lines from the ABS module. You do NOT want to strip those threads.

Friend of mine had a similar problem to this on his dads Taurus. Turned out one of the brake hoses (the rubber ones) was completely clogged.
Did you try taking the bleeder screw out completely? Those can get clogged too, and make it impossible to properly bleed that side.

Members online

No members online now.
Back