Lincoln LS V8

anytime

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I own a LS 2000 and when I drive the vehicle the dash lights turn off and then the radio shuts off and then the car cuts off and will not start up it is like the battery is dead. So I took into the dealer and the replaced the computer and it was ok for a month then the same thing happen again. Then I went back to the dealer and they said it was the battery so I replaced the battery but that did not solve the problem. The dealer hook the car up to the diagnotic computer and it read that the vehicle was find but I am still having this problem it is the car is not charging because if I get a jump the car starts up and run fine for a few days. If some one could assist me with this problem I would appreicate.

any water or excessive moisture in the trunk? check to see if there is any corrosion on the batt post.

It could be one of many computers onboard. The problem is they share the same communication bus and to me it sounds as if the bus they communicate over might be experiencing a flood of communication. With the way you described the problem each assy shutting down/turning off it seems like the computers might be shutting down.

I do not have the electrical wiring diagram shop manual so I cant really trace each system to see what they control. IIRC the following computers are in the LS PCM, FEM, REM, Body Module. I am sure there are more.

Is your description stated to reflect how the problem occurs? If not, restate giving the sequence of events how they occur. Note the temp, speed, rpm anything you can think of.

You might have to get the dealer to give you a data recorder to drive with so they can record the events.

anytime said:
I own a LS 2000 and when I drive the vehicle the dash lights turn off and then the radio shuts off and then the car cuts off and will not start up it is like the battery is dead. So I took into the dealer and the replaced the computer and it was ok for a month then the same thing happen again. Then I went back to the dealer and they said it was the battery so I replaced the battery but that did not solve the problem. The dealer hook the car up to the diagnotic computer and it read that the vehicle was find but I am still having this problem it is the car is not charging because if I get a jump the car starts up and run fine for a few days. If some one could assist me with this problem I would appreicate.

Sounds like the alternator to me. Easy way to test, is fire up the car and use a test light to see if the alternator is putting out any juice.

Get a cheap (under $20) voltage meter from Walmart and watch the voltage as the car dies. If its a short or loose connection the voltage will just die, but if the voltage drops from 14 to 9volts get the alternator checked.

If the engine is running and the voltage is below 13.5v (without every accessory and a large sound system on) the alternator isn't working correctly.

The battery won't cause the car to die off repetedly, it's a secondary problem caused by a charging system problem. You should be able to remove the battery from the car once the engine is running without the car shutting off.

It sounds like the voltage is dropping if the lights go off , then the radio, then the car.

The same thing happened to me when my alternator died. The dealer changed my battery right before I purchased the car and their diagnostic didn't show a bad alternator either.

I am having the same problem with my wifes '01 LS V8. Just this morning it started fine but after warming up for 10 minutes it quit and wouldn't restart. absolutely no power of any kind. after hooking up jumpers it started and all systems came back on.
It has stopped while driving but restarts. the two times it wouldn't restart without a jump all the gauges (tach,speedo,etc) went haywire just before complete shutdown. I'm thinking it's a bad ground somewhere. possible a bad connection at one of the computer terminals. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting no help from local Lincoln service dept.

I also wanted to add that the battery and charging system all checked out OK.

I've got the same problem

anytime said:

My '01 is doing the exact same thing. dealer diagnostics show nothing wrong. I'm starting to wonder if it could be a bad ground somewhere. If you find a solution, let me know ok. robbletts@hotmail.com

Happened to me too - it's alternator failure

anytime said:

I had the same experience. It played out over 4 weeks. Started with intermittent warning "Check charging system". Then the radio would go off for a few minutes and come back on. Then the radio and the dash lights. And come back on. Then finally, radio, clock, dash lights and ALL lights [head, tail, etc] went off and engine went into limp mode. Then came back on.

A week later, the alternator failed completely and car was disabled.

Moral: get it fixed now and avoid a towing bill.

oh and i forgot...

Chooch said:
I had the same experience. It played out over 4 weeks. Started with intermittent warning "Check charging system". Then the radio would go off for a few minutes and come back on. Then the radio and the dash lights. And come back on. Then finally, radio, clock, dash lights and ALL lights [head, tail, etc] went off and engine went into limp mode. Then came back on.

A week later, the alternator failed completely and car was disabled.

Moral: get it fixed now and avoid a towing bill.

I forgot to add that when the alternator finally went terminal, the gages went haywire. I was going 150 without the engine running. :)

Chooch said:
I forgot to add that when the alternator finally went terminal, the gages went haywire. I was going 150 without the engine running. :)
:I
Thats what happened to me.
Three months and the dealer said it was fine untill I was towed in with a new battery in the trunk. If you try the cheap voltage meter it will tell you what is happenning. If I had realized I was driving a car with only 10 or 11 volts at times I would have insisted on a new alternator.

Many Thanks

Chooch said:

Thanks for the help.

2000 Lincoln LS Dead Battery

Car would not start. Jumped it and started right off. Replaced battery. Dead in 5 days. Dealer said radio stayed on. Wrong. Battery dead after 5 days with radio disconnected. Dealer has had car 2 weeks now. They can't find what is draining the battery. Any ideas or info. ? Thanks, Mike

Members online

Back