LS is doing some weird stuff!

Lincoln84

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 2000 LS V8 and have been very happy with it...only had to do some plug replacement for a couple cylinder misfires. I have been searching for something like what I have been experiencing but have had no luck. I have had the car for a little over a year and it has 108,000k on it.

The problem:
Yesterday I had parked the car after driving it off and on all day...then go to start it and it did start. However, nothing else came on as far as the dash, radio, etc...the engine also sounded like it was running real rough and that has never happened. I have noticed that sometimes when I start the car my memory seats fail to work. So like when that has happened I took the key out, opened the door and then started it and everything worked and sounded normal. I would say that the memory seat thing happens a couple times a week.

Then today I went to start the car after lunch and it started, engine sounded normal but the radio, power steering, and instrument panel did not work. The car would go into gear normal etc. So I started it again and all was well.

I was thinking that it may be the clock spring...but that kind of sounds like it is more a steering wheel button issue and cruise control thing. I really thought that was what was going on before I got on here and read the issues that go along with clock spring issues.

What do you guys think it could be? Am I on the right course or way off? Any help would be awesome and I greatly appreciate it. The car is an everyday driver and this is only a every once in a while thing but I would like to get it in working order :)

Have you battery checked, the Lincoln LS can get some weird electrical events with a dieing battery.

Certainly, check the battery first.
After that, best guesses would be ignition switch, one of the relays in the box in the trunk, or the FEM.

OK, I will check it out today...since you mention it, I have left the lights on slightly too long a couple of times and I'm not sure how old the battery is. It came with the car...problem with it being in the trunk is that the damn thing never looks old since it's not exposed to the elements.

Mine behaved like this because the battery was not charging... Did the whole start the car ... remove the terminals form the battery... car died. Had the alternator changed and it was fine after that.

Battery going south?

Go ahead and change to a new battery.

my ls (02 v8 148,000) is doing weird stuff too. hard starts its almost always hard to start 3 or 4 10sec cycles to get it to fire. then out of the blue i barley turn the key a it fires up instantly and revs out to 3,000 rpm for a few seconds and then its fine. this has happened 3 times now. the a/c stopped working for 1 day but is working fine every day before and after. yesterday a long skinny peace of foam came blowing out the vent. 2 days before that a peace of glass came blowing out a vent. the cd changer didn't work when i got it then a few days ago it ejected a cd and is now working fine. my trunk and gas buttons didn't work one day but haven't gave any trouble before that day or after. one night the head light wouldn't auto turn off but after turning them on and back to auto have worked fine. the car misfired 1 time one day the next day the CEL came on i reset the CEL by unhooking the bat and now it misfires like crazy on every take off every day but the light hasn't came back on. of course i got the air bag light on and no wheel controls. i ordered all the coils and plugs to hopefully fix the misfire and im getting a clock-spring to fix the wheel. this was mostly just a rat but think a battery could fix all some of the other intermittent stuff? it would be sweet if it was that simple.

Members online

No members online now.
Back