LS V8 gas mileage

bigdan

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I plan on buiying a used 2002 or 2003 LS V8 ...

id like to know real gas mileage figures from both years ..any difference.

preferably from people who drives normaly ( 60-70 mph) I drive 55 miles per day .....

With the '02 I'd say if you drive 55 mi's a day and I'm guessing by the speed you posted you do Highway or something close? I'd say if its alittle stop and go than onto the HWY than you should see around 19-22 mpg. I do 12 miles one way and back in somewhat stop and go and average around 17.5-20 mpg if I take it easy.

I'd say an '03 would be close to the same. Just depends on how you like to drive. On the Highway I get up to almost 24 mpg, wish it would stay like that the rest of the time.

IIRC, the EPA ratings on the '02 and '03 V8s are very close. I think the '03 is rated at 1 MPG more than the '00-'02s on paper, but, from what I've read, it looks like the driver makes a bigger difference than the year when it comes to mileage.

Plus, if you go to an '03, you get an extra 30hp... :D

I drive 80% hwy and about 20% in town. My overall average by mileage driven/gas used is right at 20mpg. My average MPG indicator shows 19.9 so it's more accurate than I thought it would have been. Now if I can just learn to keep my foot out of it. :)

I drive about 50 miles per day highway (70-75mph) and about 17 town (40-45mph with maybe 15-20 stops). I've been averaging 21.5 mpg using 91 octane in my '03 V8.

I have an 03 LS v8 an usually average about 22 mpg. Usually 19-20 in town and 23-24 on the highway. The funny thing is that I normally get better milage on the interstate at 70-75 than I do on a state highway at 60-65. I drive about 90 miles round trip a day and you can either take a state highway or interstate but I usually take the state highway because it is the senic route but when I take the interstate my mpg increases a little.

Stop and go versus freeway steady cruise makes a huge difference.

I have a 2004 LSV8 and I like to drive a bit agressively. At least 2 full throttle rolling starts per day getting on the freeway.

On the freeway, if I do about 60-70 and have no traffic, I get 24+. The minute I get off onto a street, I can watch the mileage drop. Every hard acceleration drops it while you watch. Get into heavy stop and go, and the miloeage will drop to even below 14mpg.

I used to commute 10 miles one way surface streets with some stop and go but not a lot of idling at lights. Some good hills. Got down around 13-15mpg. Now I commute 30 miles one way, mostly freeway with only a few miles stop and go at night. In the morning, traffic averages 70 to 80mph. I average 18 to maybe 20mpg if I am lucky. If I do any street driving, say to get around a freeway jam, I am lucky to get 18 or 19mpg. If I do more driving above 80 the mileage drops a bit.

Not that I am recommending it but I drive usually with 89 octane gas. When I switch to 91+ I get a little less mileage maybe 1mpg, I think. With 87 unless it is cold, I will get pinging under acceleration or load. The manual recommends 91+

Just my experience.

Jim Henderson

wow 14 mpg, never seen that before except that one time I fulled up and than went to the g/f and came home(she is like less than a mile from me). Got back up to 18 the next day on my morning drive to work.

My LS on the highway gets good gas mileage between 65-75 mph, if I go over that it just doesn't not seem to keep increasing mpg. I do not like to go much over 75, around 70 is where the LS seems to prefer cruising. Not like it drives like crap or anything above that, but it just feels right at that speed range.

But its the driver habits that determines what you are going to get like everyone knows. If I was to step on it all the time while in stop and go traffic than I would be getting 14 mpg or worse. I can drive casual in stop and go traffic all day and probably still get 17 to 18 mpg while others may get worse.

Members online

No members online now.
Back