LS vs RS

97stscaddy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Sitting at a light last night. and a Camaro, late 80's maybe early 90's comes screeching to a halt a lane over. The two guys who are in the car are laughing for some reason or other. I see the car start lunging, like he's power braking waiting for the light to turn green. And I watch as the back wheels start turning and he lets it go and rips it across the intersection. It only spun for maybe 10 feet. I Spot an "RS" emblem on the back bumper before he gets too far ahead and I decide to keep up.
We get to the last light leading out of town and catch it red. He again flys up to the line and screeches to a halt, while I slowly brake and come to a stop right next to him. Again he power brakes in anticipation of the light turning, but this time, so do I. :gr_devil: Light goes green, I mash the gas to the floor and spin clear across the intersection, and he gets ahead of me by a car length or so. I quickly reel him back in and fly past at about 50, then just for good measure I keep it up to about 85. Had at least 4 car lengths, maybe more like 5, I was concentrating more on the road ahead of me.

Dunno much about Camaros, so I don't know what engine it had. He didn't have any loud exhaust or anything so I could hear if it was a 6 or 8, but it was slow either way. :p

The TV ads boasted about the "high output" V6 in the RS. With all due apologies, the reputation of the RS was that it was a "fat chick's car."

A Camaro isn't all that impressive. My LS (I wasn't driving at the time) beat a mid nineties Camaro without even trying.

The TV ads boasted about the "high output" V6 in the RS. With all due apologies, the reputation of the RS was that it was a "fat chick's car."

Ha! High output! :p
They had the 2.8L v6 right? Same engine that was in my old Corsica, and that was slow.

I know the 305 used in that era was a big disappointment. Had one in the Caprice I used to own. I would guess that's probably what was in that Camaro.

In Top Gear's episode where they drove from Florida to the Big Easy, Jeremy Clarkson was driving a 305-powered RS, or I wouldn't have known that they put a V8 in the RS. They certainly didn't tout it like they did the V6-powered RS.

one of my housemates had the v6 and it was slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww easily smoked by even a v6 LS

The RS is a mid 16 second car. I had an 88 Formula with the 305 TBI and that thing was dog sh*t slow. 170hp monster :lol:

A buddy of mine at work has a 94 v8 R(eal)S(low) camero. I keep asking him when he is going to grow a mullet. LOL He thinks the 305 is something special.... it would be fun to line it up against my 04 v6 LS just to see what would happen. Unfortunately there is no good (safe) place to do that around here. Guess we'll never know.

There were no RS' in 94, from what I remember. There was the "base" and Z28 with the LT1 motor putting out 275 ponies.

I thought the RS models were all V6s, I'm no Cheby expert.

If you would have just hit the gas you'd a just left him sitting there.

wow, you raced a slow car no matter what engine it had. A good driver in a civic can do it. No offense by my comments but you could have done that race in your head and have gotten the outcome right.

Members online

No members online now.
Back