MAJOR! Problem! ANY help will do!

dooneybaby

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I own a 2000 Lincoln LS and before i read about unhooking the battery terminal BEFORE i did any electrical work, especially removing the cluster, this is what happened....

On monday i removed my cluster with the battery still hooked up. after putting it back in i realized my car wouldn't start, i had thought my car lost my key signals so i called a locksmith to do a cycle so my keys would work, and that didn't work.
so i came home and started reading the forums and doing searches on LVC. Then i read about getting my PCM reflashed because of the car's PATS. i brought my car to the dealer on tuesday and my PCM was reflashed, but my car still wouldn't start!!!
Then i replaced ALL fuses related to the PCM and cluster and my car still wont start!
one guy that did the diagnostic on my car said that i needed a new transciever ring, and i got it and had that replaced. that still didnt help!!
Another worker said i needed a new cluster, i got that.... IT STILL DIDN'T HELP!!
now they say i need a new RCM (Front Control Module), its located on the drivers side, but where the fuse box on the passenger side location. I have that part now and I'M PRAYING tomorrow when it installed that my LS will start. My car has been at the dealer since Tuesday, its friday now.
if anyone has any pointers, please pitch in and let me know something!

also... when they hook up the PDA to my car, it says something like transciever not responding or not recognized.

BTW, if you still have the new cluster installed, you will probably need another PCM reflash. This is one of those deals where shotgunning the problem with multiple solutions can actually make the problem worse.

I mean, if you had the PCM reflashed with the original cluster, then put in a new cluster, the PCM won't start with a cluster different than the one it is programmed for. Another PCM reflash can fix that issue.

So, your original problem could possibly be fixed by something else you've done, but the car still not start because of another problem (like a mis-matched cluster and PCM program) introduced while trying to fix it.

Now, I'm sure the mechanics working on this know more about it than I do, but in case you didn't tell them about the cluster replacement, they might not think of it.

Hope you get things cleared up so you can enjoy your LS again.

mharrison said:
BTW, if you still have the new cluster installed, you will probably need another PCM reflash. This is one of those deals where shotgunning the problem with multiple solutions can actually make the problem worse.

I mean, if you had the PCM reflashed with the original cluster, then put in a new cluster, the PCM won't start with a cluster different than the one it is programmed for. Another PCM reflash can fix that issue.

So, your original problem could possibly be fixed by something else you've done, but the car still not start because of another problem (like a mis-matched cluster and PCM program) introduced while trying to fix it.

Now, I'm sure the mechanics working on this know more about it than I do, but in case you didn't tell them about the cluster replacement, they might not think of it.

Hope you get things cleared up so you can enjoy your LS again.

thanks, but yes the workers are aware of the new cluster. the first mechanic told me to get a new one, because my old one was bad, butthe other mechanic told me that my old cluster was still good.
i'm just hoping that tomorrow the problem will end.

i don't know if this will help, but...... with all the flashing thats going on... the security light still flashes rapidly.

I don't have an intimate knowledge of what's involved here, but I do know that if you disconnect the cluster with the battery connected, it trips something in the PATS system and the car will not start...as you have discovered. But it seems this has turned into a cluster (no pun intended) for you! I think the techs are mistaken or confused about what needs to be done. My understanding (and I could be wrong) is you need to have the PATS system reprogrammed...not the ECM. You would need all your keys, etc to be brought in. What I would recommend you do is ask Quik LS as I think he's familiar with this problem and can guide you. But somehow you need to get the car back to the original status and start from there. With everything you have replaced, I don't think anyone knows where you're at.

Correct - If you pull the cluster out with the battery connected - you run the risk of tripping the anti-theft system and shutting the entire vehicle down and not allow it to crank over.

The only solution to correct the problem is to do a complete "Parameter Reset" on the PATS system and instrument cluster.

This also means you have to re-program the two keys as part of this.

It sounds like the techs are getting all the right signals - custer, PATS,...etc but just haven't put it all together.

thanks, i just went to the dealer this morning, but had to leave because i have to go to class. so far my car is still sitting there. its been a week without my LS and Midway Ford, doesn't give loaner vehicles.

Might wanna look into the rental car thing. If I remember correctly it stated in the Lincoln book that they will always supply you with a rental car. Let me run and get my book really quick, dang, just remember my car isn't outside, it to is at the dealership. They gave me a TownCar while they are fixin my LS. But I am about 99% positive it states that in there customer satisfaction area.

DTCBob said:
Might wanna look into the rental car thing. If I remember correctly it stated in the Lincoln book that they will always supply you with a rental car. Let me run and get my book really quick, dang, just remember my car isn't outside, it to is at the dealership. They gave me a TownCar while they are fixin my LS. But I am about 99% positive it states that in there customer satisfaction area.
Only if he bought it new. If he bought it used, loaners are only included if he got it written into the deal.

after more than a week of my car being @ Midway ford with them giving me the run around, i finally took my carfrom there and brought it to Grand Prize Lincoln Mercury. They said my car is giving a transciever code..... any word on what that might be?

also..Midway Ford SCRATCHED my front bumper REALLY bad... does anyone know where i can make a complaint about their service?

Members online

Back