Manually shift the mark?

fonzieguy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Is it bad to shift the car manually? Like up or down? Whats the difference between you doing it or the computer doing it? From what I hear going up(like 1st , second, drive) is ok but going down is not.(like from drive to second)

I cant say why its bad. But when I down shift I always do so with the brake engaged lightly to unlock the TC first. Probably not needed, but call me weird.

down shifting with a 98 and newer trans should be ok since you dont have that pos one way clutch. anything older dont shift

After seeing the video with bryan and mark0101 I started doing it sparingly. I don't have a tranny cooler so its not too often, I like how the tires chirp from 1-2. It's something I'll do because I can keep the car in the 2500-3000 range around ricers and the exhaust sounds sweet.

I don't think it matters when you upshift manually. Actually Its better if you up shift when you go WOT becuase it shifts faster. I don't know about downshifting, but I just don't like downshifting since it feels weird. (like about to break the tranny) BTW I have had my 97 Mark VIII when it had 60K and now it has 110K, I drive rough and its still going strong even with me mannually shifting (shifting up...lol)

i always "rev match" when downshifting. Like if i am at 25mph and going into first when i feel it beginning to shift, i give it some gas so it doesnt use engine breaking as much. doesnt hurt it.

Yeah, if I keep it in first running it about 30mph it sounds nice, and then when you nail it she really moves out from a 30 roll in 1st, then I pop it into second around 45, and get a nice chirp. its fun once in a while, but like other posters I dont do it very often for fear of leaving the transmission laying in the road.

Just say NO to manual shifting pre 98 transmissions....

on my 95 mark, I got to 300K and about 5000 dragstrip passes on the stock tranny, but I left the shifting up to the properly calibrated PCM, rather than trying to "stick shift" the Auto.

Jerry said "DONT" and.. I "didn't".

I've been manually shifting my 98 since I got it at 56k miles. Also rev to 7000 no problems. Even downshift it once in awhile. I change the Mobil 1 Mercon 5 ATF every 25-30k miles.

I've been manually shifting my 98

98 being the key difference, the mechanical one way clutch is far superior to the POS they put in the 97 and down cars.

dont want a 93-97 owner to think that because your "upgraded" trans can do it safely that their "non upgraded" trans is safe to do so.

I've been manually shifting my 98 since I got it at 56k miles. Also rev to 7000 no problems. Even downshift it once in awhile. I change the Mobil 1 Mercon 5 ATF every 25-30k miles.

I thought that 7000 rpm was to much for the TC I heard it would start to create a lot of heat and balloon maybe fail

My stock 98 converter has been fine with 7000rpm. And I get it up into that rpm range all the time. I do use fully synthetic ATF which probably helps a lot.

I'm not sure why you would want to manually shift an automatic except to downshift going down a steep grade. Either you're just showing off or you like the ''bang'' - which in a pre-98 stock 4R70W will eventually grenade the one way clutch.

What's that you say? It's faster when you manually shift? Pfffft. :rolleyes:

Want performance in your automatic? Do a full J-mod or install a Baumann Re-Calibration kit along with a proper chip. You simply cannot consistently out shift the computer, period. :D

Want more? Get a high stall converter and practice driving techniques that will lock and unlock the converter on demand. It's like a whole 'nother gear. :D

Either you're just showing off or you like the ''bang'' - which in a pre-98 stock 4R70W will eventually grenade the one way clutch.

What's that you say? It's faster when you manually shift? Pfffft. :rolleyes:

You simply cannot consistently out shift the computer, period. :D
+1!!!

like driller said, its NOT going to make the car faster.

the only reason i do it is when roll racing, so you dont have to wait for it to downshift.

like driller said, its NOT going to make the car faster.

the only reason i do it is when roll racing, so you dont have to wait for it to downshift.

Roll Racing, there is a dragstrip here in houston that killed their bracket and index programs {bad mistake) and they started up this "roll on racing".

slow car run from 60mph to 100 mph.. fast cars run from 60-130MPH using a drift box data aquisition system.

it is the GAYEST form of racing I have ever heard of..

we call it the "cinnabon racing series" sponsored by Sure "roll on" deodorant!

These guys build 1000+HP cars that "cant launch" because they will either "blow the tires off" or "break their crappy import drivetrains"..

Roll on racing..tough enough for me, but made for women!

they do roll racing at the strip now? thats just plain retarded.

i am talking about a roll race on the street.

****diclaimer*****
****don't street race, street racing is bad MMMKay*****

Members online

No members online now.
Back