Mark VIII Died... Keeps blowing EEC/VRCM fuse! HELP!!!

PimpMyTint

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was coming off the freeway, made a hard right turn onto my street, the low fuel warning came on, and as I completed the turn, my car just died. I thought I had somehow run outta gas, so I put 3 gallons in, and cranked. Nothing. I popped the fuse cover, and the EEC/VRCM fuse was blown. I replaced it, and it blew again.

Help please?

Sounds like a wiring harness issue. Probably chaffed through and is touching ground/frame.

Inspect all wiring as best you can between the PCM and fuse block. Keep in mind the wiring first goes to the VCRM before the PCM - the PCM power relay is within the VCRM.

I really dont think it's anything like that. I think something broke, like the fuel pump, or the VCRM shorted out. I have no exposed wires or anything of that sort... HELP!?

try running wires from the battery to the fuel pump wires, can you here it working before the fuse blows , are you cranking on it for a long time before it pops ,also try a wiggle test on the wiring could be a relay, feel for a hot wire and follow it

Sounds like just what I had, I kept blowing fuses and I had two wires totally burn away but I could not see it because it was in the plug. I had to get a used VCRM out of a Gen 1 and the pigtail.

Then lie under my car in the winter and splice one wire at a time to the new pigtail and reinstall the VCRM. You don't have take the bumper off just use a couple of extensions and a 10mm it come off pretty easy.

Lemme check, but I think I have one laying around somewhere. I took it off of a junk car that I bought a few years ago, and kept things like that cause they have a tendancy to go bad at times.:D

I have one too, and if I look I can get a pig tail, or I know of a junk yard near by that I can get one cheap for you!

I absolutely need this part, IF in fact this is the problem... I am willing to pay for the item and overnight shipping to whoever can get me one first... Thanks all!

Is there any chance that it could be something else?

OK, I got a new VRCM, installed it. No good. Sounds like the fuel pump. (I checked the schrader valve on the fuel rail under the hood, NO pressure!) Damn. Anyone have any suggestions as to an easier way to get to it other than dropping the whole damn tank? Can it be accessed beneath the rear seat? Also, where is a good place to buy one? I called the local auto parts store, they want $319.99!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'm not payin that much! AND they have to order it... which will take probably as much time as it would if I ordered one online. HELP PLZ?

If you have a gen 1, get a Walbro 255 from supercoupeperformance, I think it's like $110-120 bucks. If you have a gen 2 get an OEM SVT Focus pump, which is about the same price.

OK, I just ordered a Walbro 255 from JDsperformance. $108 total shipped 2nd day. Anyone have any tips / suggestions for me knowing whats about to take place? (I only have 2.5Gals in the tank, so thats one tip I don't need lol) I tried the old "bang on the tank" trick... no dice. I think the fuel pump is seized!

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll letcha all know if this does the trick! I think it will, as after the new VRCM, I still don't hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key... just clicks coming from the relays under the hood.

Yes, but if you go to here I have a step-by-step procedure on how to do it....along with pix in another thread to help.:D

new fuel pump is always nice,but before you swap it,lay under your tank and have someone turn the key on,listen for the pump,atleast you will know .

how about the inertia switch? if thats tripped fuel pump wont turn on, i believe its in the left hand side of the trunk near the air ride on/off switch (at least thats where it is on a gen2)

I already ran 12V directly to the pump, layin right under it. Dead. I must have took that turn SOOO hard that the remaining gas in the tank splashed outta the hopper, and the pump ran dry, and seized up. Thats my only idea... I did pull some g's on the turn, lol.

thanks SOOO much for everyones help! :) MUCH appreciated!

I feel real bad, I really hope that a fuel pump is your answer. let me know if there is any thing else I can do. Just get a new lock ring and gasket when you do the fuel pump, I useually reck mine when getting a fuel pump out.

I already have the whole tank out, pump assy out, cleaned and ready for the Walbro 255. I got a shiny new lock ring n gasket too. Just waitin for the UPS driver in the morning!!! Hope to have the Mark burnin gas, (AND RUBBER) by noon! Thanks for everyones help! I didn't have to drop the exhaust, my tank slid right out, about a 10 min project. Lucky I guess. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back