micrometer solenoid repair

MarkVa1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Been reading quite a bit about transmission issues in the forum. I've got a 2001 LS V8 sport with 185K miles - after it warms up (shifts fine when cold) it hesitates or sticks when hitting the gas at about 40 mph to 50 mph then eventually gets into 5th and drives fine once I reach 60 mph or above. It's a bit of a safety issue when accelerating onto the highway - I pump the gas lightly to get my way through it. Been going on for about three weeks now. With the laundry list of issues, it hasn't dropped out of 5th or had any other major issues. Once and a while its tough getting into reverse but not repetitively. I had a local mechanic flush the system and replace the fluid praying that would help - it didn't and now I know why having read through numerous posts...

From what I've read I think I have a bad 4-3 spring or a stuck solenoid? I've read through the pinned thread for repairs by Mikeyswood and I saw this video online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37wlNIkAo3w

he basically drills out the solenoid pin and replaces them. I don't have a bad solenoid to use for measurements like he suggests - just wondering if anyone on here has done this inexpensive repair? Not sure I quite grasp the micrometer measurements he's mentioning, but money is tight so a $25 micrometer is worth looking into instead of a $250 solenoid pack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgEB1mmNguo This is another video which shows where two tiny balls go in case they happen to fall out and roll around the garage!

Anyone know of a good video online showing how to remove the 5r55 transmission on jack stands? I've watched videos for other vehicles and some use engine lifts to hold the engine in place,e others use jack to support it... I haven't found one for the LS and jobs like these tend to take me 4 times as long as people suggest - but with help from this forum I've made quite a few repairs to this LS over the years which I never would have been able to figure out myself!

Members online

Back