Mileage and Howto clean the MAF

bmw036

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 94 mark VIII appears to be getting much worse gas mileage than it used to. I would like to do some much needed maintenence to it, such as change the spark plugs and cables, new air and fuel filter, and what else? and what should I do first? I don't drive very much, mostly short city trips in a very hilly area.

Also, I've read about cleaning the MAF. But I don't know anything about the MAF, even where it is, so I was wondering if someone could detail me through it or perhaps link me to a post where this may have already been said (I couldn't search for MAF since it has too few charecters).

:L

bmw036 said:
My 94 mark VIII appears to be getting much worse gas mileage than it used to. I would like to do some much needed maintenence to it, such as change the spark plugs and cables, new air and fuel filter, and what else? and what should I do first? I don't drive very much, mostly short city trips in a very hilly area.

Also, I've read about cleaning the MAF. But I don't know anything about the MAF, even where it is, so I was wondering if someone could detail me through it or perhaps link me to a post where this may have already been said (I couldn't search for MAF since it has too few charecters).

:L

Just remove the maf from the air box and shoot some gumcutter 2+2 directly at the wires. Try to get within 1 inch of them and spray away. Takes a few seconds.

O2's sensors could be going even though you probably do not have a CE light on. fuel filter i would change out first, because it is a cheap fix, and probably will help a lot. i was burning gas like it was going out of style, i was thinking about replacing my O2 sensors, but since garages were quoting me stupid prices, i figure let me do a cheap fix, and i did my fuel filter... and viola! i was not burning gas anymore, so i would try the fuel filter first then go from there bro! good luck

Ok, I'm going to replace the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, and clean the MAF.

After hitting my local big automotive stores, and finding out that spark plug wires were from $80-100, I was looking for some inexpensive spark plug wires online and found Champion, AC delco, and Bosch, all for about $65 shipped from www.rockauto.com Three questions:

1. Is any one of these better than any of the others?
2. Does anyone know of desent wires for cheaper from somewhere else?
3. or should I just pay more for some other brand/type?

I used Brake Kleen at the advice of Geno works great done a few cars works like a charm and solves a lot of mysterious problems that you wouldn't think would be related to the MAF

ONEBADMK8 said:
Just remove the maf from the air box and shoot some gumcutter 2+2 directly at the wires. Try to get within 1 inch of them and spray away. Takes a few seconds.

too remove you loosen the large hose clamp?

No, there is 2 star shaped bolts on the MAF just remove them if you cant find the correct bit just use some vise grips like I did :)

you dont need to do that you just pull the hose clamp like was said and pull up the maf and theres a little point in there and thats what gets dirty clean it and your good I do it everytime i chang my air filter

there is no power difference in plug wires unless one is bad, circle track magazine tested like 20 sets a few years back on a 600hp motor and no difference.... all different resistance values, the ones with ground straps (rice car wires) and nothing.. toyota wires are dinky ,like 4mm, and last 100k... just go for quality... cleaning the maf does work most of the time unless it has an internal problem... qd electric cleaner is my favorite, says it wont hurt electronics... you can use a q-tip for heavier deposits, but, be very, very, very, carefull with the hotwire...lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back