Mileage

jobear

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a Gen2 Mark with 18K miles. Not getting near the mileage that everybody claims. I'm gettin high 19's with mostly freeway driving. My old mark got just about 21. Tire pressure is good. Windows always up. Checking air filter tomorrow. Any other ideas???
Bear

I've been working on my fuel efficiency for a while now. I'm getting about 20-22 on the highway right now after installing a new custom exhaust system. I'm shooting for the 26-30 range I often read about.

fuel filter
air filter
pvc
plugs/wires
o2 sensors
Tire pressure
alignment and suspension components.

And, I'm hoping the cause of my low numbers has been my fried torque converter and worn out transmission. Fortunately, that's being shipped Monday morning.

According to the computer thingy in the car I get around 16 in town and 22 or so on the highway.

That computer gauge isn't very accurate. Sometimes mine is inaccurate by over a full gallon of gas wrong, as a result the figures are inflated.

Calabrio said:
That computer gauge isn't very accurate. Sometimes mine is inaccurate by over a full gallon of gas wrong, as a result the figures are inflated.

just to clarify something here..

the fuel guage accuracy does vary on these cars,but the mpg is very accurate because unlike some cars with mpg guages,mark viii's actually record the flow of fuel through the system down to the tenth of a gallon and calcualtes this against miles driven,

i always watch my odometer and my "gallons used" setting on the message centr.
the actual fuel in tank gallons is not as accuarte ,either is the miles to mpty,i have driven 2 miles and had the guage drop 5 more miles towards empty.

but the gallons used and mpg is very accurate.

some vehicles i have seen use basically a digital version of the old vacuum guage mpg meter,it just does a best guess based on throttle position over time

Moes8 said:
but the gallons used and mpg is very accurate.

Mine isn't. I've seen times where it was almost exactly right.
And many other times were it's been a full gallon incorrect.

I am getting about 16 mpg....I drive 99.9% "city"
I know I have a bad oxygen sensor...hopefully that will help when I fix it.
A couple weeks ago we went for a ride that was all highway and the message center said about 22mpg.

My fuel mileage computer has seemed to give a pretty good estimate. Sometimes it is spot on, other times it is a few mpg off. I have gotten as good as 29 mpg on a 200 mile trip, but it is usually around 26 mpg on the highway driving about 75 mph. In town i generally get 12-15, but this town is a cluster**** of stop signs, bad traffic conditions and poorly timed traffic lights.

I drove 2 hours the other day on the hwy and was very good to the throttle and was going 80-90mph and ended up with 29.2mpg hwy only. Around city my mileage is terrible because i have a lead foot lol.

ONEBADMK8 said:
I get 24.5 @ 145 mph.

Now that I seriously doubt... My ETC gets the same mileage as my Mark, within a tenth of a MPG city or a couple tenths highway. And it gets 12mpg at 150 according to the DIC. It has the exact same coefficient of drag as a Mark as well. Unless you meant KM/h...

Wow, going 145-150mph and you guys have time to look at the computer MPG?

95LSC32V said:
Wow, going 145-150mph and you guys have time to look at the computer MPG?

And time to take pics too!

flyin.jpg

Ummm ... average? (My ETC read a steady 12 instant on level ground at 150 - I didn't have time to reset the average at that speed.)

Unless you reset your avg every gas fill up, or have a steady routine drive, your calculations will be off on the message ctr.

If you're getting 16 town driving and your car's use to 24.5 on the highway, you're going to travel less miles than the computer has calculated.

but, only being a gallon off on the calculation, isn't bad. If you're on level ground, in my experience, it's accurate. Definately better than GM's in the '97 style Cadillac STS.

I've seen two seperate STS's that run out of gas at about 1/8 tank. edit: everytime it's at 1/8 tank!

Geno's average was good, but instant would have been lower for sure. Kudos for the picture at 145 though Geno.

ONEBADMK8 said:
And time to take pics too!

flyin.jpg

oh sheez,that view out of the driverside,ohhh

i need to come for a drive in that thing geno.

i'll be down to philly sometime for spin.

damn!!!

what is done to that car again ?

It was on 28 avg before I romped it and shortly after this shot it went down to 16.2, it was just a joke pic anyway. Of course I do not get that mileage at that speed.

As for the mods there is too much to list, click here for some.

turborich said:
Your computer is off a bit, don't ya think???

no, it's possible - if you don't hit reset for a thousand or so miles, then one 145 mph run isn't going to kill your average....of course, who can resist and only do one 145 mph run?

Nice pic Geno... makes me miss my LMS white face gauges on my 95 LSC. Only time I pegged the speedo like that though was on the dyno, CA highways are too crowded to do that.

ONEBADMK8 said:
It was on 28 avg before I romped it and shortly after this shot it went down to 16.2, it was just a joke pic anyway. Of course I do not get that mileage at that speed.

As for the mods there is too much to list, click here for some.

Wow. 8 mpg average loss. That sounds more like it. :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back