Mixing Coolant During Top Off - Motorcraft Gold + Prestone Universal?

galvorn

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Had some work done at the dealership under warranty and had the coolant flushed, but they did not fill it up enough.
Currently has the factory Motorcraft Gold coolant in it, and I added in ~0.5L of Prestone universal coolant (pic below) to get it to the cold full mark
Is this kosher or should I have taken the trouble to get the Motorcraft Gold or Zerex G-05 coolant?

prestone_50_50_ready_to_use_prediluted_extended_life_antifreeze_coolant_0.png

Tried searching here and everywhere else, and I get conflicting advice. Some say it's okay, some say it's as bad as mixing DexCool with green coolant, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply joegr!

I did see in a couple of threads that you have been using the same Prestone universal long life stuff in both of your LSes and BMW
for awhile now without issues, but I assumed that was pure (ie. unmixed) and just wanted to be sure.

Well, it's impossible to get all the old coolant out.
Some BMW folks go ballistic at the suggestion of putting green coolant in. (BMW's is blue.)

Some BMW folks go ballistic at the suggestion of putting green coolant in. (BMW's is blue.)
Yup, saw that too on Bimmerforums. They insist on using only the $20+/gal BMW coolant o_O

What if you run the engine with the radiator plug removed and put a water hose into the fill cap.

hopefully your water supply doesn't leave garbage in the system.

That's because blue and green make yellow. Who wants anything "yellow" in a BMW?? :eek::lol::lol:

If you search long enough and can find information that can be read and understood by people with out a phd in chemistry you will find that ALL coolant in concentrate is 96-97% water and glycol. Only 3-4% is what differentiates one coolant from the next, color aside(color.003%+\-).The idea behind gold is that it will take on the color it was added to, doesn't always work in high concentration of contrasting color. If half the system is green and you add 2 gallons of gold in a 50/50 mix to a 3 gallon system it is a crap shoot but usually it will stay green if all things are equal in a perfect world.
Domestically speaking there are 2-3 major manufactures of engine coolant, including the heavy truck market. Preston hasn't made their own stuff in a very lone time. The parent company of Peak (old world) is one of the largest and IIRC is the largest (gallon wise) globally. Zerex is a division of Ashland(parent of Valvoline) is number 2. Again this can change at any time. Between the two of them they private label most of the engine coolants we will ever hear of.
Volkswagen, BMW, ford Use blue coolant in most of their current models. This can change at any moment but is current to my knowledge.
The 3-4% additive package provides color, antioxidants, corrosion inhibitors and blah, blah blah.... Unless you,are in the heavy truck business one is as good as another. If you want something crazy good look at heavy truck coolant. Problem is you will likely develop a system leak way before you will ever appreciate the benefits of the good stuff.

Members online

No members online now.
Back