MKS gets an exclusive 3.7L V-6

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
in today's Ford release, they made a mention of this, but no further info, no idea if it's twin turbo or not.

Might just be a 300+ hp V-6 like in the Acura RL?

Lincoln MKS arrives in 2008 with exclusive 3.7-liter V6

The latest rumor I've heard is that the 3.5 TT has been delayed. Given that the 3.5 is rated at 265hp on 87 octane, it's not unreasonable to expect the 3.7 to be in the 300hp ballpark.

From Mark Fields's statement today:
In 2008, we further strengthen the Lincoln brand. In August, I confirmed plans for a new Lincoln flagship sedan the Lincoln MKS. We plan to build it in Chicago and equip it with more technology and features than any Lincoln before it, including all-wheel drive and a new, exclusive 3.7-liter engine.

The more I look at the engine choice for the MKS the more I believe it is reasonable. The only problem is that it should be out now, not in 2yrs and it has to be reliable.

JaredLS said:
The more I look at the engine choice for the MKS the more I believe it is reasonable. The only problem is that it should be out now, not in 2yrs and it has to be reliable.

I think a high hP V-6 will be more than fine, and I agree with you Jared. Ford is behind the curve again- we need the MKS in 2007 if Ford is to be competitive. 2008 is just too late.

Too bad, I think they will delete the double-5 rims on the production model. They looked awesome on the pre-production concept.

Last nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned. When they dropped V8 RWD they lost me as a buyer.

The size of the engine and the number of cylinders matters less to me than how it feels when it is driven. I was quite happy with my 2003 V6 LS because the engine felt peppy when driven. I suspect a lot of Lincoln customers will feel the same way and won't care too much about what type of engine is in the MkS. That said, I will defer judgement on the car until I drive it.

I agree with the above posts about Ford always being a step or two behind the competition in technology, and not only on drivetrains, but on little stuff. One example is Auto Up/Down window switches. IIRC, in the 2000 LS, an auto down switch was available for the driver's side window only (no auto up). Yet at the same time, the competition (BMW, Lexus) had Auto up AND down switches on at least both front windows, and perhaps even all four windows. My 1993 Infiniti G20 had the same auto down driver's window as the 2000 LS! In 2003, Lincoln finally added auto up/down to the two front windows, but not the rears. Our 2006 Lexus IS20 has auto up/down on all four windows.

Another example is Bluetooth technology. Its simply not available in any Lincoln (except as a dealer-installed option), yet for the last couple years, much of the competition includes it as standard equipment.

auto up switches are dangerous. lincoln wasnt behind from a technology standpoint (there really isn't any technology in an auto up switch)...I assume they were concerned about safety. but people want auto up so they put it on there. And the feature that makes it stop when something is in the way isn't all that effective. don't believe me? stick your head out the window and hit the auto up button. Report back to us on how that goes :)

it went just fine when I tested my wife's lexus. It pinched a little but I would not say it was anywhere near me losing my arm or having nerve damage or anything.
This technology isn't even that new. My garage door will not even indent a roll of paper towels before it stops and goes back up. I have had it for 10 to 15 years now.

imagine a small child's neck there or a small dog. could be extremely painful or even deadly. this is the reason they still don't enable the auto up with the key fob and don't have auto up for the back seats.

My point is that this isn't "technology"...I think Lincoln didn't include it because of safety concerns.

exclusive 3.7L V-6 sounds like an exclusive 3.9L V-8 which unfortunately would mean a little to no aftermarket. Of course if it comes over 300hp from the factory, I won't need an aftermarket anytime soon. But then there is the FWD/AWD problem. I am actually starting to like the MKZ and with Ford saying that 1 out of 5 vehicles will be sharing the 3.5 (263hp ain't bad), I could see a great aftermarket opportunity. But we are back to the FWD/AWD problem. Guess we'll just have to wait see/test drive the cars in person. You never know it might surprise ya.

Well I really don't car what engine is in the car, as long as it works.
It could be a 3.7 liter I4 and as long as it works I'm cool with it.

what I'm not cool with it is;
the FWD based design (even if it gets AWD, its still based on FWD first so repairs will suck).
No manual transmission planned. I thought that they wanted lincoln to head the market not suck its a##. The MKS's competition is selling Manual and automatic transmission equiped cars (a few will have SMG's by then).
Oh yeah and the looks, If I wanted a that look I could have bought the Jap stuff already.

AFAIK, the "exclusive 3.7" is a punched-out Duratec 3.5; supposedly, the D35 has the flexibility to be stroked and bored out to well over 4.0L. If it really is a stroked and/or bored D35, it should have an aftermarket that's very similar to the D35's. Since the D35 is replacing the D30, it's going to be in everything Blue Oval, so it should have a tremendous aftermarket.

Also, the last reports I heard were that the MKS design has been reworked to make it look "less Japanese." I haven't seen any of the new design tweaks, so I can't coment on it directly.

beaups said:
auto up switches are dangerous. lincoln wasnt behind from a technology standpoint (there really isn't any technology in an auto up switch)...I assume they were concerned about safety. but people want auto up so they put it on there. And the feature that makes it stop when something is in the way isn't all that effective. don't believe me? stick your head out the window and hit the auto up button. Report back to us on how that goes :)
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was deadly. In fact, the anti-pinch feature on the auto-up feature (which actually works regardless of whether or not it has the auto-up feature) would be more safe than just a window that goes up without going back down when faced with an obstruction.

I'll tell you what..........why don't you find a documented case of someone or something that was harmed (or killed) by this "auto-up" feature and then post it for us.

DLS8K said:
I'll tell you what..........why don't you find a documented case of someone or something that was harmed (or killed) by this "auto-up" feature and then post it for us.
I actually posted information from the US DOT on this subject in another thread. IIRC, there were either no or very, very few fatalities in children from being trapped/caught in car windows.

FWIW, on both my '04 and '06, rough roads have been enough to trip the bounce-back safety on the auto-up windows (and moon roof).

Well, the Ford engineers did say that the Duratec 35 (on which the 3.7L is undoubtedly based), could also be used for RWD applications as well.

personally, I don't see not having a V-8 as a huge problem. With these modern engines, they can be tweaked to give a nice performance curve. Manual trannies only target a small percentage of the customer base anyhow- maybe they will give it paddle shifters?

The AWD could be good- Edmunds gave a stellar review of the MKZ- they said the new engine makes it a whole new beast.

I know for a FACT that at least as far back as 1992, BMW had the auto up/down feature on their cars. I owned a 1992 3 series coupe, which had it on both windows.

If nothing else, Lincoln should include it, and allow it to be disabled by the individual owne via the onboard computer

DLS8K said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was deadly. In fact, the anti-pinch feature on the auto-up feature (which actually works regardless of whether or not it has the auto-up feature) would be more safe than just a window that goes up without going back down when faced with an obstruction.

i'm certain if i was to search long enough i can find one....however most death cases are suffocation and the kids are in the car alone. yes, the sensors in modern systems 'should' prevent this...but i don't think it would take much to collapse a small child's or baby's throat.

technology isn't perfect. my garage door sometimes flips out in the winter. my computer locks up all the time. my lincoln ls breaks A LOT.

as a father of 4, I wouldn't trust that "pinch" sensor.

How many kids do you have?

As long as the engine makes enough power, I don't care what it is.

But I just don't have a use for an automatic transmission.

Yea, as someone else said, this will be my last lincoln if they drop the V8.

I have two and would not trust the anti pinch feature either.
I would however want the auto up&down on my drivers and front passengers windows.
I know that on one of the mustang lists, somebody figured out how to add that ability to the drivers door controls by adding in additional modules to the circuits.
I'm thinking of going back and looking at them again.

Now I find the whole "Since the D35 is replacing the D30, it's going to be in everything Blue Oval, so it should have a tremendous aftermarket." to be total BS.
Why, because I heard the same marketing pitch back in 95 about the new "modular" ohc 4.6l motors. They were supposed to be able to be scaled up or down merely by adding or removing cylinders and using two deck heights. The marketing moron at time when on to say that ford planed to build everything from a four cylinder to a v12 from the basic head and block architecture of the 4.6l engine design.
what do we have today, a couple of variations on the 4.6, a 5.4 block and a last few 6.8l v10's. So much for the Modular engine design spreading out and being used in nearly every ford.

I guess I'm becoming unwilling to take anymore crap from Ford's BS artists.
They can keep their lies and the cars as well.

I'll start to think about buying a new ford product when they do something smart, like bring the next Aussie falcon to the US.
About the size of the 500 with a V8 up front, rwd and a manual std.
Price it at about the top of the line f500 range and I'll be in for a test drive.

Members online

No members online now.
Back