My Mark VIII beeps a series of 5 beeps, 5 times in a row at start up.

hotrodfc

LVC Member
Reaction score
Upon starting my Mark VIII it beeps 5 times in a row, in a series 0f 5. (Total of 25 beeps, grouped into 5 at a time, 5 times.) Does anyone have an idea of what my car is trying to tell me? It will do it out of the blue sometimes while I'm riding down the road. It will scare the heck out of you if you don't have the radio or anything on and are just enjoying a nice cruise in the countryside. Thank you for any help in advance!
Frank C
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII (Base)

When you leave your turn signal on too long, you get beeps like this - I wonder if the problem has something to do with that...

Yeah, I know the Nash rambler song.... It was a Cadillac that couldn't shake him ya know! My check engine light will come on once in a blue moon, then go back off again. Also, sometimes my info canter will twitch and go from time and date to headlight delay, then go back again. It is kinda weird.

Try the hood closed switch over on the pass, side. This may have or is going out. This is a theft detection switch which gets the horn going as you described. Just a thought. OR it could be myold deceased uncle Frank just saying hello.

that is your air bag warning system.. telling you the SRS air bag isn't functioning properly.

Mine did it when my battery would get low.

When it beeps, do you notice the air bag light on the dash is flashing along with the beeps?

Hope it helps!

that is your air bag warning system.. telling you the SRS air bag isn't functioning properly.

Mine did it when my battery would get low.

When it beeps, do you notice the air bag light on the dash is flashing along with the beeps?

Hope it helps!

Yep, mine did it when my alternator died and took the battery with it.

I belive through popular majority that it is the airbag warning system. Thanks to everyone out there for your help! There were some replies that were a total hoot! I had to laugh. By the way, I always mat it on the 3rd beep, I even accidentally raced a Camaro cop car... I took off after he tailgated me for about 8 miles. When he finally decided to pass, I nailed it! We were both rinning about 110 when he passed me back, and I finally saw the door badge. I must've had a really dumb look on my face because he started laughing. I slowed down and set the cruise at 65 the rest of the way home... Whoops!

Is this a feature on our Mark VIII's I wasn't aware of???? I thought this was just a GM feature...

:cool:

My wifes 2000 Grand Marquis used to do it. I read about it in the owners manual. Boy did I feel dumb trying it out.

Members online

Back