need help egr replacment

HOT 97

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a 1997 markviii how do u replace the egr value, looks simple, do u need a gasket and glue????????

Really Easy

Spray the EGR tube with penetrating lube and let the car go through a few heat/cool cycle, if that tube broke I'd cry

Undo the the tube, undo the two screw, remove the vacuum line

You will need the valve and a gasket

Rebolt it and reinstall the tube, I'd use antiseeze like crazy.

No No No....
I agree!

you dont want to delete EGR on a street car.
on a trailer queen race car maybe.

But on a car you want to get any type of ecomony out of leave EGR intact.

there is no performance gain to removing EGR because its inactive at WOT.

Also when you remove EGR your car becomes less tolorant to spark knock.

EGR allows more spark to be added in part throttle, EGR reduces combustion chamber temps and it increases economy.

it's stupid to remove EGR on a street car.

I agree!

you dont want to delete EGR on a street car.
on a trailer queen race car maybe.

But on a car you want to get any type of ecomony out of leave EGR intact.

there is no performance gain to removing EGR because its inactive at WOT.

Also when you remove EGR your car becomes less tolorant to spark knock.

EGR allows more spark to be added in part throttle, EGR reduces combustion chamber temps and it increases economy.

it's stupid to remove EGR on a street car.

Another agree here.

delete it all and turn it off in a tune. IMO theres no need for extra hot air.

Do you happen to realize that "hot air" you speak of is far cooler than the combustion chamber temperature?

This "hot air" as you put it isn't "air" at all, "air" is combustable wheras EGR is not.
The EGR that is cooler than the combustion chamber PLUS the absense of "AIR" means it wont ignite and increase the combustion chamber temp.

There IS a reason it's there, many people mistakenly delete it thinking they have added some shred of performance, when in fact they have decreased the spark tolerance of their engine... thus meaning they have to have a special tune for the deleted EGR.

Any guess what makes a non egr tune "special".
it's the spark they had to take out of the tune so your car wont knock at part throttle.

Less timing at part throttle means... LESS PERFORMANCE and DECREASED ECONOMY. {shakes head)

it's really a no brainer.
Only no brainer folks remove it

yes i'm looking at the egr, just want to get some opionion on it. the code it comes up is pP0401 (insufficent flow in the exhaust gas recirculation system)

I had to replace my DPFE sensor on my red Mark, that cleared my code.

I've still got the original EGR valves on my high mileage cars.

on the back of the drivers side cylinder head.
it has two hoses that run to the EGR tube.

you might have a bad DPFE sensor or a broken line to the EGR tube
I'd bet on a bad dpfe sensor... or a clogged passage in the intake manifold that clogs the EGR flow.

hope this helps

id put money on the dpfe and/or the wires and hoses going to it over the egr valve. i havent seen (personally) more than 5 bad egr valves in my life, well that wernt obvious, rusted in half etc

If you take the wiper cowl out it's much easier... or if you have small hands and ratcheting wrenches....

Members online

No members online now.
Back