Need help new to the ls and have a coolant leak.

lincolnman07

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is chris and i just bought a 2001 lincoln ls v8. I got home from work last night and noticed alot of coolant on the ground under the drivers side. but could not tell where it was coming from because it was so dark so this afternoon when i got up i looked and still could not see any thing broke or any thing but it is leaking. i thought that it may ba coolant tank or a hose but under the hood of the ls there is absoulty no room to really tell. But i wanted to know what is on the drivers side towards the back of the motor that could be leaking, is there hose or is it the surge tank. Thanks Chris

That's not the overflow tank. That's the pressurized coolant tank. (You know, the thing that used to be on the sides of the radiator.) It seems that it is common for them to have cracks and start to leak. It will have to be fixed. The LS does not do well with air in the cooling system.

Degas Bottle is what Lincoln calls it. Hairline cracks that usually only rear their heads when the tank is HOT and under pressure. Usually wont leak when sitting cold/overnight.

so how hard is that to fix and where do i find the parts. how much money does it cost as well thanks chris

so how hard is that to fix and where do i find the parts. how much money does it cost as well thanks chris

You can repair it with epoxy... Obviously it would be better to replace it. You can use one of our sponsors to buy a new one.

new tank

New tanks are expensive $160! Yikes! They are a known problem. Easy to replace. Get a new one, do not try to repair. Get the bleeding instructions after you put the new one in. You must bleed the system correctly. And get a bottle of water wetter,,,,it will keep the car coool! It really works.:)

don't repair it. most of the 'coolant tank' repair kits are for overflow tanks - the Lincoln setup is pressurized (7psi) so if you are going through the bother of pulling out the tank - swap it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back