Need help. Steering wheel lock inop

drag214

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so I went to start my car today and the key didn't turn. I figured, "Oh steering wheel lock". and tryed to engauge it by turning the wheel a little. But the wheel just kept turning. I was able to turn the wheels from side to side with the key out of the ignition.
I checked the wires to the ignition and to the steering colomb. I also checked the fuses. I don't know how the lock works (if it's an electric or a mechanical mecinism). Please help.

I noticed before, If I tried to turn the steering wheel while the key is not in the ignition, the steering wheel would lock in place.

The US/Canadian LS does not have a steering wheel lock.

+1. I had to get the car towed once. The jackass, instead of getting a flatbed style truck, just ran my seat belt through the steering wheel to keep it in place better.

Thanx for the info.
Since it's not a problem with the steering colmb, then I assume the problem is in the ignition. I put the key in, but it won't turn.
I gathered up my spare keys thinking maybe the key I was using was bent or something. The results are the same with all three keys. The keys work on the door and the trunk.

Try wiggling the gear shift while wiggling the key. There is a mechanical connection between the two (in addition to the electrical lock out on the gear shift).

Try wiggling the gear shift while wiggling the key. There is a mechanical connection between the two (in addition to the electrical lock out on the gear shift).

I tried that. It didn't help. I'm going to figure this out and it's going to be something simple.
I'm going to try putting a little lube in the key hole. Maybe the lock mechanism is sticking. If that dosen't work, I'll just give my local locksmith a call. I may have to replace the ignition switch all together.
I'll keep you all posted.

I tried that. It didn't help. I'm going to figure this out and it's going to be something simple.
I'm going to try putting a little lube in the key hole. Maybe the lock mechanism is sticking. If that dosen't work, I'll just give my local locksmith a call. I may have to replace the ignition switch all together.
I'll keep you all posted.

Okay. Then I suggest that you spray a little lube into the slot so that it can get to all of the lock pins. Then tap the outside lightly with a small hammer that may cause a stuck pin (if that is the problem) to drop. If that doesn't do it, then it's time to pull the lock cylinder out or call a locksmith.

In stead of lube I would use a zero residue cleaner like Gun Scrubber on lock mechanisms.

Ok. so i got the ignition from my friends LS after a little coaxing. (I had to promise I wouldn't break anything). I put his ignition in and strapped my key to the ignition and It worked. I'm just waiting for my new ignition to come in and I'll put it in and get the keys programed.

PS.
I broke a piece of a pannel on my friend's LS. I'm going to repair it with some apoxy. He won't notice.

PS.
I broke a piece of a pannel on my friend's LS. I'm going to repair it with some apoxy. He won't notice.

:D sounds like me. I'm always braking little things here and there and then fix them up with a little glue or whatever works best.

He asked me today if I had broken anything. He sounded as if he knew the answer. I almost broke and told the truth. But then I thought, " there's no way he could know." :shifty:

Members online

No members online now.
Back