Need info on 96 IMRC's

02blackls

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am using a '96 Mark motor in a kit car, and wanted to know if someone could help me understand how the IMRC's work. I am running the engine with a '01 cobra wiring harness, so I don't have anything to hook up to the electrical plug coming off the actuators. The research I have done has told me that they are operated solely off vacuum, but I wanted to make sure there isn't something I will be missing not having them plugged in and they will either be open or closed all the time. I do have the connected to a vacuum source, but it is kind of hard to be under the hood and driving at the same time to see if they are working. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

I've got some 96 IMRC's that were made into delete plates if you decide to get rid of the IMRC's. Your name and location look familiar. You in Niles Michigan? I think you bought that engine from my old 96 when I lived in Kalamazoo.

Are you using a 96 PCM? The 01 cobra engine harness does not have provisions for IMRC's, since they had C heads. The IMRC's are still actuated by a solenoid/ported vacuum valve. Since you have them connected to vacuum all the time, they will be closed. Unless you drop enough vacuum in the upper rpms for the internal springs to push them open. The position sensors on top use 12v power and then bypass a certain amount when they are open. Both signal returns then joined together, before returning to the computer.

If they operate properly and you get a CEL then see your local tuner to turn off the light.

Members online

No members online now.
Back