Need Intake for 97 MKVIII

eglade

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My 97 MKVIII has a cracked lower intake manifold. The dealer no longer stocks the part. Any ideas on aftermarket replacement or Motorsport p/n ?
I'm looking for direct replacement compatible with rest of intake assembly.
An upgrade over stock would be preferable, but stock manifold will be considered if anyone has one for cheap $$.
My lower intake cracked directly below the alternator. My Mark is primary transpo and I need to get back on the road asap.
Many Thanks for your help.

only thing that comes to mind is the 96-98 cobra intake manifold. but that is going to cost a pretty penny brand new. best bet, check out ebay if someone is parting out a 97 mark intake manifold.

ditto i found some aftermarket sohc intakes (when i still had a bird) they were big bux ($1600+), i would just replace it with stock or a cobra

swap issues MVIII to Cobra

Are there any issues related to the swap MKVIII to Cobra ? Throttle cable, kickdown, linkagage, throttle body, MAF, connections. I would like to know ahead of time to save a few trips hunting parts.
Better to get whole intake assembly ? Will my throttle body bolt up?

checked on mark at tccoa but they won't let me post, reply or contact for at least 1 day after registering. Thanks for the link. I would like to get in touch.

Will the cobra lower mate to the Lincoln upper ? I'm having trouble locating a complete assy. Been on ebay all morning. Might be able to locate a cobra lower from dealer, but sure they will want to rip me for it. Might have to just park until I can locate parts. Driveability does'nt seem to be affected, but I don't want to risk damage to motor should leak get worse.

I wouldn't do a cobra intake swap on the otherwise stock car, especially in Cali with emisions and testing.

It's not a simple bolt off bolt on. You need to fab up EGR tube, relocate the cruise module, fab up new fuel lines to use cobra rails, and 100 other little things. Then you'd need to tune it or it's gonna run like crap.

Its a Cali car? I agree with m_maker. Its not a direct swap and would require work that if not done would affect emissions. It should run fine without a tune though, the computer can adjust - the IMRCs will still be there and a Gen II intake and Cobra are not radically different. Now if you removed the IMRCs and swapped the computer could not adjust far enough. It would appear to run fine with plenty of power - but your emissions would suck.

eBay has plenty of stock complete Mark VIII manifolds for under $200. On a side note to answer your question, no you can not put a lower onto an upper Mark VIII. They will not mate up right. Need a complete "set". If you really cant find one, let me know and I will get one for you.

Thanks for the info. The Cobra swap sounds like more work than I have time for. Also smog here in California is a definite issue. I'm pursuing a lead on a manifold from a 98 MKVIII. If it does not pan out, I will definitely need assistance locating a new one. I spent all morning on ebay yesterday with no luck. Thanks again for the help. My Mark and I would definitely be out of service longer than expected were it not for all your help.
Thank You, Eddie

I think it is, notice the IAC and EGR are reversed. But its not for a Mark VIII like the auction says!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...12312700&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123

i am new here but i just purchased a manifold for a 97 mark viii....i just noticed that the seller put a disclaimer that it wont fit a 93-95 mark viii.....i dont know that much about these motors and am learning new things everyday....so if this dosent fit my motor i will be lookin to sell it...problem is i have no idea what year i pulled my motor from or anyway to tell what it is and i am tryin to find a way to ID my motors year......so in short i may have what you are lookin for if it dosent fit

wow i just realized how old this thread is....i need some damn sleep....!

i also have a complete intake off a 97 i can sell.

EDIT: i should have looked this is over a year old im sure you solved your problem by now!

Members online

No members online now.
Back