Need key for 2004 LS

Visalize

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried searching the forum to dig up some info but since it differs between years of the LS make, I am still confused. I currently have one key and a remote FOB for my 2004 LS. I also have the numbered keyless entry that sticks on the car. I have two problems. The first one is that I want to get two more keys so I have back ups. Do I have to buy the key and get them programmed at the dealership? Is there anyway I can buy the keys somewhere cheaper and then just get the programming done at the dealership?

Secondly, do I have to have them get the code for the numbered keyless entry at the dealership or is the way i can get it/reprogram it myself?

get the keys off ebay and take em up to the dealership. i read in a previous post that it was like 250 for 2 new keys and for them to be programmed. but yeah the dealer has to program them

I have a 2004 and am in the same boat. One key, one fob, no pass code.

Yup the dealer programs the keys and it costs a bundle. Be thankful you don't have one of those keys that has the keyless fob built in. I hear those keys cost something like $1,000 each to replace. Why do the mfg's make components that cost so bloody much to replace and that no one else sells? Guess they like the money.

If you ever lose the last key, then you have to get towed and it costs even more, that's what the manual says.

There are a few key shops that can program the keys for a lot less $$, but I know of none on your side of the country.

The keyless entry supposedly can be scanned by the dealer, mine couldn't. Or supposedly the pass code is on the computer. I have been told it is on the engine computer or the computer module in the door itself. I looked at the engine computer and found nothing useful. So next try is the driver door module. I have read removing the door is relatively easy but may take more time than I can spare just now.

The key fobs can be programmed very easily by you if you have at least one already. I got a fob on Ebay for something like $17.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

That's why I bought a 3rd key on eBay. It was like $12 to the house. I got it cut for free at Lowe's. Then with the other 2 keys (on of them the Valet Key) I was able to program my 3rd key in a matter of minutes following the instructions in the Owners Manual.

Now when I lose a key I won't be screwed. If you can avoid it, don't let yourself get in the 1 key situation. Then the dealer has got you.

I was "lucky" enough to get one of the 2 year models that the Keyless Entry remotes have to be programmed by the dealer. I already had the fobs and it still cost me $90 to get them programmed.

Members online

Back