Need Shocks and Struts--Any Suggestions?

gittyup87

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 LS and my suspension is horrible. Pretty dissappointing considering I only have 68K. Anyone have suggestions on where to get them replaced? I have a Bell Tire near my house that has done good work on my other vehicles. Has anyone got a new suspension for their LS from there? I would like to get it back to that new car ride without going to an overpriced dealer.

You have some options on shocks and springs. Your best bet is to stick with the OEM shocks since they come in three different styles. Those styles are:

- Base
- Sport
- Euro

Those are arranged by stiffness with the Euro shock being the most stiff. I have the Sport shock on my LS and it is very controlled. There isn't much in the way of aftermarket shocks other than Monroe Sensatracs. I would not recommend them. I had them on my car and it caused the car to float too much. Now, you can look into a fully adjustable shock like a LEDA suspension shock but you are looking at $400 a shock. It all depends on your budget. We sell the OEM shocks on our website.

As for the springs, there are several companies that make a lowering spring. Eibach sells a spring that will lower your ride about an inch all around. Companies like Intrax and Springtech sell springs that will lower the car even more. These lowering springs will help lower the center of gravity of the car and make it handle much better. Not to mention though that the car will look better as well.

A good combination of shocks and springs will really help your car handle and perform like it should. Also, it all depends on your budget as well.

hey ken the LSV8 Sport package has the sport or euro shocks? Need to know? how much for the full set of 4 shipped to 90280?

joshluvsla said:
hey ken the LSV8 Sport package has the sport or euro shocks? Need to know? how much for the full set of 4 shipped to 90280?

It has the sport shocks. Euro's were intended for the MTX.

before you spend the $ on suspension what cond. are your tires in.I thought I needed susp, work put 4 new mich on tires and the car rides like new-chances are if the shocks and struts are not leaking they are ok

402777LS said:
It has the sport shocks. Euro's were intended for the MTX.
I always thought the Euro Shocks were for the LS's exported to Europe...

taylor414ce2003 said:
before you spend the $ on suspension what cond. are your tires in.I thought I needed susp, work put 4 new mich on tires and the car rides like new-chances are if the shocks and struts are not leaking they are ok
Actually, shocks/struts most commonly fail over time. In many cases, it will be a gradual loss of ride comfort and people tend not to notice that. Also, they recommend replacement every 60,000 miles or so (for factory set-ups).

When I replaced my struts/shocks, my car had 100,000 miles on it. I didn't think it rode that bad, but when I got the new ones installed it made a world of difference. I went with the Monore's.....which as was stated my Ken above offer a little bit softer ride which I got used to quickly.

Best thing for the car is to take it to a shop and have them do a suspension evaluation. They'll check everything out and make sure it is tight. I'm working at Sears right now as a service advisor and the evaluation is free. As much as people make fun of stores like Sears, etc........they do just a good a job as dealerships do for tires/brakes/alignments/shocks/struts and at a lower price.

Kelleyo said:
I always thought the Euro Shocks were for the LS's exported to Europe...

European sales was the main reason there was a manual. The MTX was dropped after they cancelled the idea of european sales and dismal sales here in the US. There were never any cars exported (by Lincoln, anyway).

eastcoast27959 said:
ls mtx? you've gota be kidding
Nope. From '00-'02, you could buy a new LS with a Getrag 5-speed manual transmission coupled to a Duratec 30 V6. As noted above, it was developed for the stillborn European sales program. IIRC, there were fewer than 1200 total manual trannied LSes manufactured in those three years of production.

I am confused I was looking on Teamford and it shows that the LS has stuts in the front and shock absorbers in the back? is that right? or is it the same thing? any how the rear ones are standard special and performance which i assume is base sport and euro right? can you guys help me?

The LS has coilover shocks front and rear; they're using the terms strut and shock interchangeably, but they're really shocks. (Team Ford is using Ford's part descriptions, so it's actually FoMoCo that's using them interchangeably.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back