New Engine Build

lsdarkshadow

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am about to embark on what will probably be a one year engine build for my LS. I am currently driving a Gen I V8.

My current engine runs fine, but I got the itch at 107,000 to start thinking down the road. My brother can build engines, but works mostly with Jap builds so I am hoping that as I post progress and Ideas that you guys can lend some much needed expertise. This will be my first full motor build, but like I said, my bro is a pro, and is optimistic. This is our starter list going in.

Custom Pistons/high compression
Reground Camshaft
Gasket set
-Port and Polish head
• Valve job (oversized)
• Valve Job (multi angle)
• Stiffer Springs
Custom Aluminum - Intake manifold
Better throttle body
Custom Fuel injectors
Fuel pump/High Volume
Higher output Alternator
Custom ceramic coated Headers
High flow cats
Exhaust
Coil Packs/ (mustang) Accels part # 140032-8- Summit- $207-( 99-04 Mustang 4.6)
Custom Pressed Aluminum Coil Covers
Hone the block
Powder coat
Chrome Plate Valve Covers

I found a 3.9 Long block that I am picking up in a couple weeks, as soon as I can find time to drive and get it. (5hrs away)

If you see anything on that list that you have already modded or seen and want to offer comments or directions, feel free. Thanks.

i was just going to say that you should make a progress thread for this

The 3.9 V-8 engine has a number of idiosyncrasies that you'll be best advised to take into consideration. Not the least of these is involved in your comment regarding the intake manifold. Have you explored the work necessary to fabricate one from aluminum?

I'd be happy to enter into a dialogue with you about this topic. Might I suggest that you start by reading 'Land Speed LS', to be found about a half-dozen steps below on this screen.

KS

How much higher that the almost 11:1 compression ratio do you tend to go? How are you going to get cams reground that will suit the needs of the engine? Are you going to include the VVT or lock it out? The AJV8 is already a stout motor for what it is, I dont think your going to be able to squeeze much more out of it in a naturally aspirated form and once you do reliability on your now custom motor is out the window. Swap the motor for a 4.6 which has been done twice now on record and build that or buy another car. Just my 2 cents.

How much higher that the almost 11:1 compression ratio do you tend to go? How are you going to get cams reground that will suit the needs of the engine? Are you going to include the VVT or lock it out? The AJV8 is already a stout motor for what it is, I dont think your going to be able to squeeze much more out of it in a naturally aspirated form and once you do reliability on your now custom motor is out the window. Swap the motor for a 4.6 which has been done twice now on record and build that or buy another car. Just my 2 cents.

^^^^^^This. Unless you have a bunch of money burning a whole in your pocket I don't suggest trying to build the AJV8. You would be much better off swapping in a 4.6 which is still going to cost you big $$$$$$ but in the end your $/power ratio is going to be much better. Eventually when I have a lot more money and time on my hands than I do now I plan to put a 4.6 in an LS, I'll probably just use the one out of my Cobra if I decide to swap a 5.4 into her.

There was a 2002 LS with an LS1 manual 6 speed for sale on ebay for a buy it now of 12,000.00.
It was a V6 5 speed originally.
It worked and passed an obd2 emissions test.
There's no substitute for cubic inches.

These are all good points. I'm not building a drag engine. Just a finer tuned, slightly better version of the 3.9. I don't want to swap a different engine because I want to keep it as the original, just better. You can drop and LS1 in anything. I'm not impressed someone was able to do it. You can put an Chevy 350 in a honda accord if you really want to.

I am keeping my LS forever,and I am only 34. With that being said, one day the engine will fail. When that happens, I will need to put a new engine in it. I found the nearest thing to a "new" engine is a reman which generally runs about $2800-$3500. 'If' you can even find one local. The long block is costing me the gas money to go get it and my brother is juiced in with all the metal/engine fabricators I will be working with so a lot of the work will be done near cost. Plus, the engine will be solid, and I'll have the original motor to rebuild after!

If I wanted a mustang, I woulda bought one. I own a 06 Nissan pathfinder, and I am buying a 2010 370z in October. This LS is my baby. Not gonna race it. Not gonna juice it. Just want to give it the best possible 3.9 liter AJ-V8 that money can buy. I own it outright and have done almost all the work on her myself. I have saved in other ares so I can spend alittle more here. I could do alot of other things to get more HP, but all I want is the most HP for this motor. I eventually want to show the car which is why I have another thread on the regular LS forum about the custom fiberglass lip kit and front and rear bumper makeover. My Goal is a LS that I would have built had I been on the design team in the late 90's when the LS was still clay and paper.

To answer the question about the intake manifold, I am not personally going to build it, but I have the the race ones the guy made for my brothers track cars and they are really nice. Just more efficient air flow and a custom bracket for a loger throttle body. The one now is plastic so modding is impossible.

Also, once you start putting 4.6's, 5.0's, or 5.4's with turbos and nitrous and such the car looses practical drive ability. If you want a 11 second car, by a mark and drop a cobra an juice in it! I just want a better, leaner running LS and will be happy with whatever results I can get. ......which I am pretty sure will be fine.

Lastly, although I have read the Land speed LS thread, and will be able to use some of the same build ideas, he is doing a completely different build. He is putting a motor from a different car in for the soul purpose of speed, and racing it. Yes his is a daily driver, but he has very different aspirations. His thread is very helpful though in some ares because of the similarities in the build, but is some ares very different.

Thanks to all for input.

I intend to turbo my car eventually with the kit I bought from a member here and I want to keep it a long time also.

For 600.00 I bought this almost new 2005 engine from a crash test(that's what the indoor wrecker said)
It is so clean the spark plugs look brand new.
So far I used 1 plug and coil off this engine but it's great to have for parts or if I fubar my current engine which has 90k on it.
If I never do need it I can sell it when the time comes.

100_0635.JPG

100_0636.JPG

100_0637.JPG

Spares and doin' the DD Thing

You're breakin' my heart with those pictures! It's nice to have a spare. (I have 2 3.9s and the 4.0 that's (slowly) going together. And regarding the intractability of turbo cars, there's just been a thread on the Yellowbullet Forum regarding a daily driver Mustang that just went 7.6s and above 190 in the quarter. Uses a 3.90 gear in an 8.8 and an automatic trans. The engine is a 347.:D

KS

04SCTLS, nice engine, looks brand new! I was wondering if you were still around or not.

04SCTLS, nice engine, looks brand new! I was wondering if you were still around or not.

You missed me?
Awww....
I post mostly in the Politics and Current events for fun,
plus I've been working on my supercharged 97 383 M6 Camaro
convertible.:D

102_1072.JPG

You missed me?
Awww....
I post mostly in the Politics and Current events for fun,
plus I've been working on my supercharged 97 383 M6 Camaro
convertible.:D

HaHa...yeah I missed ya, someone that actually post's legitimate responses to questions

I like the rag top, 383 fuel injected or carbed?

HaHa...yeah I missed ya, someone that actually post's legitimate responses to questions

I like the rag top, 383 fuel injected or carbed?

42lb injectors with tune.
carbs went out in the late 80s

Just a quick note to let everyone know this project is still working. I am in the process right now of having a custom aluminum intake manifold made. That and looking at a bigger throttle body (off a mustang) and mating it with a weapon r intake.

Waiting on a reply from the place i am getting new fuel injectors.
Walbro fuel pump is in the garage in a box. As is new valve covers.

Will update with pics as soon as i actually start the build.

You will have to trim the cap of the fuel pump housing to fit a walbro 255. Ask me how I know.

You will have to trim the cap of the fuel pump housing to fit a walbro 255. Ask me how I know.

With all the other custom fabricating I'm doing right now, I hope that is my biggest issue. How is it working for you?

Just curious why you mention the Accel's as replacement for the stock COP's. They are just barely stock replacements for what is there now. You should consider maybe MSD or Granatelli's for more performance and reliability.

I'd be very interested in the source of your information that the Accel COPs are 'barely stock replacements'. Please expound.

KS

Just curious why you mention the Accel's as replacement for the stock COP's. They are just barely stock replacements for what is there now. You should consider maybe MSD or Granatelli's for more performance and reliability.

I'd be very interested in the source of your information that the Accel COPs are 'barely stock replacements'. Please expound.

KS

Imo, Accels are very low market.. MSD or Garantelli have been race proven and mods support them well.. Many 'racers' don't use Accel COPs.. Technically speaking, you can get just as much voltage output out of cheap Jegs ones.. Garantelli has 150% more voltage.. And that's if you get the cheaper ones..

Imo, Accels are very low market.. MSD or Garantelli have been race proven and mods support them well.. Many 'racers' don't use Accel COPs.. Technically speaking, you can get just as much voltage output out of cheap Jegs ones.. Garantelli has 150% more voltage.. And that's if you get the cheaper ones..

I'd be very interested to see where these figures have come from. Is there a study somewhere?

KS

My mechanic bench tested all of my accels and stocks. Said they tested identical.

Although I never bought the Accels for a performance gain. I bought them because I didn't know which stock coil(s) were misfiring a while back, and a whole set of 8 accels was around 200 bucks.

I use to be in the automotive parts business back in the 80's, we sold Accel, Mallory and Echlin brand electrical. We had so much trouble with Accel it was not funny, from plug wires to coils, points, HEI stuff. They call themselves high performance, we finally stopped selling it. Go into a Hipro shop today and see if they recommend Accel, ask them them about it, they won't say much about. No one uses them on any NHRA, NASCAR or any race series for that fact. WHy don't you try the Ford Performance coils.

Accel Coils

It's very common to hear anecdotal comments that usually run, "I knew a guy who had a friend who heard that thus-and-such..."

My own personal experience is that a set of Accel coils has worked flawlessly for me for three and 1/2 years. They were installed to make sure that a mixture of 93 octane pump gas, 116 race gas, methanol in substantial quantities and nitrous oxide would ignite properly. Using this combination I've succeeded in setting four national records in two classes in land speed racing.

The car is a daily driver.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back