New here. Question about 2004 driver's door latch assembly

Ebony LSE

LVC Member
Reaction score
A few weeks back I purchased a 2004 LSE black with black interior and with about 65,000 miles on the clock. Prior owner never did anything other than oil and filter. I have addressed deferred maintenance items; fuel filter, K&N engine air filter, cabin air filter, and seat filters. The engine was misfiring and I took it to Ford and they kindly tested all 8 coils and replaced #2 and #4 all for free. I replaced all 8 plugs and the boots on all of the original coils that were not replaced by Ford. Car runs and drives very smooth now. But now the problem:

All doors will open sometimes with the remote key fob. All doors except driver's door will lock with key fob or exterior key pad. Drivers door will lock/unlock with interior switch, interior door pull. Using search on this forum I am lead to believe that the door latch assembly needs to be replaced. I am trying to get the best price on a new part, but I am having difficulty determining correct part number.

My car shows a manufacture date of April 2004. Some of the part references I have seen show a change in the door latch assembly "for cars manufactured after 4/15/2004. I have no idea what day my car was built. I see on e-bay someone selling a new part that appears to be the one I need. It has a part number of 4W4Z-5421812-BA and the buy it now price seems reasonable. Comparing to some other Ford parts suppliers shows that this part number was superseded by part number 6W4Z5421812B and this part can be found for even a better price.

So my question is how do I determine what door latch assembly will fit?

Hey Ebony,

Welcome to the LS forum. I don't have a clue on the part number. Use the search. There several threads here about the door latch assembly.

to be 100% sure take the latch out and the part number is in the back where the latch and door meet that way you can confirm.

Just an update on this. The part number is 3W4Z-5421813-AA. I found the best price for one on e-Bay for $162. The part did not appear to have been installed before, but it did not come in a factory bag or box. I had a car audio shop install it and now everything works fine.

Not all of us in Crazifornia are nuts!!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back