Noisy brake pedal????

66coupe

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Got a small problem guys. Anyone here have an issue with a noisy brake pedal? I'm getting a wierd sound inside when I depress the brake pedal? Brakes work fine just this noise is driving my crazy!

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause it?

Got a small problem guys. Anyone here have an issue with a noisy brake pedal? I'm getting a wierd sound inside when I depress the brake pedal? Brakes work fine just this noise is driving my crazy!

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause it?

Probably the master cylinder going bad.

Is this weird noise a slight hiss or whistle?
If so, it comes from the Vacuum booster. A slight amount of hiss is normal. If you feel yours is excessive, then check and see if the little foam like filter piece is missing. (It should be where the push rod from the pedal assembly goes through the firewall.)

It's hard to imagine a master cylinder being able to make enough noise to hear on the inside of the car, but it's easy for the vacuum booster to do, since it's between the pedal and the master cylinder.

nope, not a hiss or whistle. Hard to believe its a master when these is no change in the brakes.

nope, not a hiss or whistle. Hard to believe its a master when these is no change in the brakes.

Well, you've ruled out two sorts of sounds, but that still leaves several possible sounds. Could you record and post a clip of the sound? Failing that, a description that says more than "wierd" would be good. (BTW, it's spelled "weird.")

LOL, sorry about the spelling. I do that sometimes when I type fast.

well I just went out to take a look at it more to see if I could tell where the noise was comming from. it turns out the pins that hold the plastic underdash up broke and the brake pedal arm was rubbing on the plastic. Looks like a trip to the dealer monday to get new pins,LOL

Mine was making a sound & brakes worked fine, but they still said the master cylinder was going bad & put a new one in so...

Mine has/had the same problem when I first bought it. It's kinda like a "crunchy" sound isn't it? The deeper you press the pedal the more it makes the sound. It is in fact the master cylinder. This isn't the only car it happens to. I know 3 other people, personally, who have had the same thing happen. All 3 had the master cylinder replaced - problem gone.

Regardless, mine only did it towards the end of the day, after long periods of driving -- like running errands or something all day. I happened to be at Sears Town Auto getting a flat tire fixed and I saw that they changed brake fluid -- So i thought to myself..."for $30, I'll try it." Changed out the brake fluid and no more sound to this day -- that was over a year ago. Brakes works perfect.

Joe's knowledge is ridiculously superior to mine. So if he tells you something, I'd probably listen to him. That, and he's a super nice, helpful guy.

But I'm just saying from my experience, that's what I've come across. Something about the seals going bad inside the master cylinder causes that sound to reverberate into the cabin and sound like it's the arm that pushes on the pushrod inside the booster. I'm not a car rocket scientist, just a do-it-yourselfer kinda guy.

Check this thread out:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=35522

Pay attention to post 22. I actually did a good job of explaining it.

Joe, what do you think? Possibly master cylinder issue, or still leaning towards something else?

A "crunchy" sound with non-smooth operation of the pedal is indeed often the master cylinder.

Thanks guys, but not sure if you didnt read my last post but the problem has ben fixed. Nothing to do with the master at all.

Now that I have that fixed time to put on the slotted and drilled rotors and all new pads.

Members online

No members online now.
Back