Not starting at all

MrWilson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My car has been sittin for about 3 weeks now...It has been getting progressively worse in the idle/driving quality, and just before i put it away it was realy runnin rough, and on the very last trip to the house it was like the car devoloped a ghost and floored it by itself. That happened once before, and wound up being the throttle position sensor, but thats brand new as of july. then during these last 3 weeks i started it up to let the new oil run through, and the car would just idle realy poorly, and when i would try to give it gas, it would just cut out on me. today, i replaced the maf sensor hoping that that was the last possible option, and nothing changed, now...its worse, it wont turn over at all. it catches about 2 seconds of starting, but doesnt catch all cylenders, it just caught one or two and then gave up. i replaced maf sensor and the tps sensor, the egr is fine, and i dont know about the idle air control...though i would not think that would cause drivability issues, just idle issues.

ever think about checking your fuel pressure? check your plugs, see if they are fouled. You shouldn't replace everything until you know its the problem, you'll just waste money in the long run.

Get rid of that car dude jesus its a freakin lemon!!!

Get rid of the car.

Buy a Honda Civic.

Never work on a car again.

ONEBADMK8 said:
Sounds like the fp went poo poo.

Thats what im thinking, im orderin up the 255 anyways, so hopefully that will cure it

MonsterMark said:
Especially if the car is run mostly on empty. Not enough gas to keep the pump cool is a bad thing.

usuially i have over a 1/4...i ran out of gas two times, thats it.

Jibit said:
ever think about checking your fuel pressure? check your plugs, see if they are fouled. You shouldn't replace everything until you know its the problem, you'll just waste money in the long run.

i checked the fp bout 2 weeks before i put it away, and it was fine...i dont have a pressure guage here so i didnt check it, besides...the car needs to be runnin for me to check it anywyas.

When you key up you see the pressure.It could be any number of things.
So take your time and try not to get to frustraited.
Make sure you have not vacuum leaks as well. If air is sneaking past the flow meter then you will massive problems. the rubber bit that is on the throttle body does not always go back on right. I had to mess with mine for a while and wound up putting for a gasket sealer on there to make sure it stayed in place.
Since it had gotten worse since you changed the mass air I would wonder if that is part of your problem. Since you wiggled the tube to get the sensor on.other things might be loose in the intake track.

If you flooded it like you had mentioned previously then you will need to change the plugs. They are gone. I had messed my fuel pressure once on accident. They took out my brand new plugs. They where a pain to change to boot ..LOL
Do the FORD wiggle test. It sounds funny but, they really do have one. You will have to get your running and then pull on all the wires and wiggle them all. Basically you are checking for loose and intermitant connections.

poneyhexed said:
When you key up you see the pressure.It could be any number of things.
So take your time and try not to get to frustraited.
Make sure you have not vacuum leaks as well. If air is sneaking past the flow meter then you will massive problems. the rubber bit that is on the throttle body does not always go back on right. I had to mess with mine for a while and wound up putting for a gasket sealer on there to make sure it stayed in place.
Since it had gotten worse since you changed the mass air I would wonder if that is part of your problem. Since you wiggled the tube to get the sensor on.other things might be loose in the intake track.

If you flooded it like you had mentioned previously then you will need to change the plugs. They are gone. I had messed my fuel pressure once on accident. They took out my brand new plugs. They where a pain to change to boot ..LOL
Do the FORD wiggle test. It sounds funny but, they really do have one. You will have to get your running and then pull on all the wires and wiggle them all. Basically you are checking for loose and intermitant connections.

did all that already. the mass air i did today, and it did nothing. the fuel pump is comming in with the hurst, so ill put that in and see where we are from there.

MrWilson said:
usuially i have over a 1/4...i ran out of gas two times, thats it.
My point is that usually once is enough. Running a fuel pump dry is almost like running the motor out of oil. Not as severe but that extra heat on the pump could lead to early termination.

MrWilson said:
besides...the car needs to be runnin for me to check it anywyas.

not true, if you cycle the power on the fuel pump will prime the fuel rail up to pressure, hell, you can just try cycling the key, and the press in the pin on the shrader valve and see if fuel comes out (cover it just in case with a rag)

Mechanics VS Parts replacers.................

I believe that we all know what and who we are dealing with here. So when you post reply's

P_l_e_a_s_e T_a_l_k S_l_o_w_l_y

...I made a joke about MrWilson selling his car parts to make it easier to push, I didn't know that it was because he'd run out of gas.....:D

Calabrio said:
...I made a joke about MrWilson selling his car parts to make it easier to push, I didn't know that it was because he'd run out of gas.....:D
:facesjump you guys are hysterical!

You should be able to hear the fuel pump prime when you put the key in the on position. If you can hear that is most likely not the problem! Have you tried the crank and cam sensors?

98LSC32V said:
You should be able to hear the fuel pump prime when you put the key in the on position. If you can hear that is most likely not the problem! Have you tried the crank and cam sensors?

both new...actually i cant remember when i could ever hear it, i prolly have to listen harder.

Jibit said:
not true, if you cycle the power on the fuel pump will prime the fuel rail up to pressure, hell, you can just try cycling the key, and the press in the pin on the shrader valve and see if fuel comes out (cover it just in case with a rag)

thank you, that i did not know, will check that out tomorrow or something.

Calabrio said:
...you've run out of gas "JUST" twice in a year?? :eek:

twice since 04

MonsterMark said:
My point is that usually once is enough. Running a fuel pump dry is almost like running the motor out of oil. Not as severe but that extra heat on the pump could lead to early termination.
:I
Ask me how I know.......:(

Members online

No members online now.
Back