Oil smell in the car in cold weather.

G

gordsplace

2004 Lincoln LS Burning oil smell, especially in cold weather. Intake Manifold Tuning Valves (IMTV).
The ls v6 oil leak issue is not to be confused with the ls v8 oil leak issue. The v8 involves the valve cover gaskets ("vcg") in which oil leaks from the vcg onto the coils and ruins them. This is not an issue with the ls v6. Unless you’re particular car has developed an obvious vcg leak on the ls v6 from what I have read and seen on my own ls v6 the oil leak and burning smell have nothing to do with a leaking vcg.
I found oil leaking from the lower intake IMTV, on the passenger side which in turn drips on the hot exhaust manifold and is sucked into the hvac system and results in a burnt oil smell.
The oil leaks past orings and exits below valve out of sight.
The slight oil leak drips directly onto hot exhaust.
My oil leak is coming from what are called Intake Manifold Tuning Valves (IMTV) of which there are two in the upper intake of the ls v6. They have a rubber oring around them to seal them in the intake. Mine is leaking from the bottom one. Note, make sure you’re using the new style orings. They seal much better.
IMTV o-rings are new if they are "green or black" and old if they are "yellow". Ford Lincoln supplied new black orings. Replace both the IMTV o-rings as they will both be sealing poorly.
I got the orings for two IMTV o-rings $13.00 each from the Ford Lincoln dealer in Kelowna BC, Canada, and they were the only ones that had them. I did not have to remove the upper intake manifold. There is a Jaguar forum that had a much easier way. It involves the Jaguar S type with the 3.0 v6 (same engine in the LS V6) which it shares its platform with around the same model year Lincoln LS.
The Ford Lincoln seals are black.
Here is the link. http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32135
Remove the cowl, wiper arms, front strut tower brace, a few vacuum lines, a bracket on the passenger side strut tower which was holding some wires in place behind the IMT Valve, the cabin air filter, cabin air filter holder, the box protecting the cabin air filter from the engine compartment. This allowed removal of upper and lower IMT Valves. Then you can replace both yellow original orings with new black orings. I lubricated my new seals with a silicone grease to ease installation.

Removing valves with obstacles removed.
This repair took about 4 hours, taking my time. Next time 2 hours will be enough.
Crankcase oil fumes condense and accumulate in lower intake in cold weather.
The IMTV with old seals, I reused my valves with no problems.
You can clearly see how much the old seals are crushed

2004 Lincoln LS 015.jpg

Lincoln LS oil smell 013.jpg

Lincoln LS oil smell 005.jpg

Lincoln LS oil smell 006.jpg

Lincoln LS oil smell 016.jpg

Lincoln LS oil smell 017.jpg

Lincoln LS oil smell 023.jpg

Lincoln LS oil smell 025.jpg

Lincoln LS oil smell 027.jpg

2004 Lincoln LS 028.jpg

Wow glad I found this!! I have been trying to figure this smell out for about 2 months now since I bought the car and haven't really noticed any oil loss but the smell has been driving me crazy. Thanks again for the great write-up

^^This guy should win an award!

first post and he found the answer himself.

glad you got it figured out bud! keep up the good work, others can learn a lot from you.

Welcome to LVC!!! Nice to see you made yourself feel at home. :)

^^This guy should win an award!

first post and he found the answer himself.

glad you got it figured out bud! keep up the good work, others can learn a lot from you.

+1 Good job! And that's a very nice LS you have there

Before I go to the local dealer to get these rings, are the gen 1 and gen 2 o rings the same part number?

As far as I have found they are the same part number. Here is where I purchased mine from http://www.motorcarsltd.com/C2S40669.html they came to about 14 shipped and had them within 3 days. Took me a total of about 20 mins to install them. The lower valve can not be removed without taking the air inlet box and cabin filter out although I went the route of cutting off the old o-ring and sliding the new one on without removing the lower valve with no issues. I have not had any issues since doing this and am glad that the issue is now resolved. The only part I had to remove to get to the valves was the plastic cowl piece. Best of luck

been trying to get an answer to this for ever
stumbled onto this forum and found this
joined just to say thanks job is done
smeel gone and only a few scratches on my hand

I also had to join the forum to post my sincere thanks for this awesome write-up. This is exactly what my 2000 LS V6 is doing right now. It has 145,000 miles on it and has been essentially flawless in the 16 years that I've owned the car. I didn't do enough web research on this subject before and thought it was my valve cover gaskets - which I replaced last year and of course - it didn't fix the issue.

I just ordered new O-rings yesterday and hope to have them for next weekend - to do the repair.

I also had to join the forum to post my sincere thanks for this awesome write-up. This is exactly what my 2000 LS V6 is doing right now. It has 145,000 miles on it and has been essentially flawless in the 16 years that I've owned the car. I didn't do enough web research on this subject before and thought it was my valve cover gaskets - which I replaced last year and of course - it didn't fix the issue.

I just ordered new O-rings yesterday and hope to have them for next weekend - to do the repair.

Did you get this done, and did it help? I wasn't aware that it was a problem on first generation V6s, which is why I am curious. I just re-did my VCGs last week, and still have the smell. I have never noticed anything wet under my IMTV, and I can see that my VCG replacement went better this time, thanks to using a thin coating of RTV oil resistant gasket maker in both the channel in the valve cover and on the surface of the VCGs just prior to assembly. My car still has that burnt oil on the exhaust manifold smell to a slight degree, however, so I know that something from up above must still be dripping oil. I placed a cardboard box under the engine after a 100 mile drive on Friday and got one drop of oil from the right side, which is the side that the IMTV is on. Just passed 271K miles yesterday on this otherwise flawless drive train.

Well - I replaced the o-ring on this past Friday, but haven't had the car out for a test drive to see if that solved the issue. I was surprised to see that there wasn't any oil coming from out of the IMTV when I changed the o-ring out- which made me wonder - if it was really the culprit. I was also a little suprised to see that the early V6 only had 1 IMTV - so I have a spare o-ring.

You'll have to stay tuned. I probably won't be driving it in the next couple of days since it is going to be rainy here in NW PA.

Well - I still have the burning oil smell. I guess I'm going to have to investigate further. Since I replaced the valve cover gaskets already and don't believe that they are leaking - I'm going to have to do some checking to see where this is coming from.

I noticed last year - when I changed the oil that the aluminum oil pan had a lot of oil on it - and it NEVER had prior to that. I'm wondering if there is something leaking around there that might be burning on the cat's? I'll have to crawl under it one of these days to see what I can find.

From what I can see, the oil problem I had was coming down from the valve cover gaskets, and making it all the way to the oil pan, which is or was pretty wet when I just changed my gaskets on the valve covers. I have not looked in the past 2 weeks since changing the gaskets on the VCs. There was no oil leaking from my IMTV when I removed the manifold. I am hoping that there is a lot less oil on my engine after changing the gaskets -- I have no idea how I would have done a better job this time around, with added RTV gasket maker on both sides of the new gaskets, as well as completely de-greased gasket retaining grooves in the covers.

I drove the LS the last couple of days and the other day when I got home - drove it up onto a couple of car ramps to get a better look from the underside. I looked and looked and really couldn't see much of anything that could be causing the smell around the engine. I did see that the oil filter had some oil coming down from one side - so I hand-tightened that. The engine on the passenger side - just under the VC's is perfectly dry. The other side has just a little bit on the engine heads, but not enough to concern me. There wasn't really any around the oil pan of concern, either. It was pretty normal looking there, too.

The only other place that has always leaked a little is the power steering pump and hoses - there has always been some fluid on the hoses and pump, but it doesn't use much - so I never have worried much. After tightening the filter - I didn't notice the smell as much - so I'm hoping that was it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back